Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Dug up in Arromaches

Article about: Hello everyone! Just joined the forum and decided to show you all my first restoration job! This was (along with a couple other helmets I plan to do) dug up near Arromaches, the site of the

Photos!Dug up in ArromachesDug up in ArromachesDug up in ArromachesDug up in ArromachesDug up in Arromaches

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dug up in Arromaches
    P
    Many

and after the first round of electrolysis Dug up in ArromachesDug up in ArromachesDug up in ArromachesDug up in ArromachesDug up in ArromachesDug up in Arromaches

And back again! Sorry for the long delay everyone, a mix of uni and cold weather put a hold on work but here's an update regardless. All the rust as been electrolysed off and all of the pitting filled in and sanded smooth. The only major obstacle left before painting is fixing the crack on top, seems like someone tried to fix it and just ended up wedging one side underneath the other.

I have a very similar lid with the one you are about to restore! It also has a very similar crack on top and about the same color... Would you please explain me the process of electrolysis?

In reading this post, I was relieved to hear that this
    Arromanches relic helmet was not to be the subject
    of a restoration, and I agree - attaching a 'time
    and place' to a piece such as this puts it in a
    whole different context.........
    Regards,

Steve.

What you do is take the helmet and clip the negative wire of a car charger battery to it, and the positive lead to your anode (mild steel sheets). Then submerge in water, add a teaspoon of soda ash per galleon and turn on the battery. The helmet will start to reduce, meaning the rust comes off and attaches to the steel plates. That's it in a nutshell.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4