Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

First attempt at a helmet "conservation"

Article about: (I know this helmet is in a horrible condition, I didn't pay much at all for it, I just wanted to test out some new ways and prevent a relic from decaying over time) I started work on restor

Default First attempt at a helmet "conservation"

(I know this helmet is in a horrible condition, I didn't pay much at all for it, I just wanted to test out some new ways and prevent a relic from decaying over time) I started work on restoring this helmet a week or so ago, not sure what model so if anyone knows please let me know! I soaked it in oxalic acid, cleaned with water, and soap, and preserved it using microcrystalline wax. Unfortunately the color on the exterior of the shell became greenish, I think thats because I messed up the neutralizing process or maybe that was the original color but im not sure, again if you know please let me know!. I definitely would have had an easier time if I removed the liner, but the liner had lots of pins and leather fragments still attached and I didn't want to risk damaging that, the chinstrap, the liner itself, or the helmet. I was still able to bring back a lot of the paint which i'm happy about. Let me know what you guys think. I know it's not an amazing conservation but I think i did decent for the first time haha. If you have any tips I'd love to hear them as well.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First attempt at a helmet "conservation"   First attempt at a helmet "conservation"  

First attempt at a helmet "conservation"   First attempt at a helmet "conservation"  

First attempt at a helmet "conservation"   First attempt at a helmet "conservation"  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement First attempt at a helmet "conservation"
    P
    Many

?

Hello,
    It is definitely an m35 or m40 due to the rolled edge. I can't tell from the photos, are the vent holes stamped in to the helmet shell or separate pieces? That would determine the version.
    Nice job on the helmet.

Regards,
    Daniel

MAP
    ?

You did well. It is very common for colors to change once exposed to Oxalic acid.

I see the outlines / shadow of a single decal. Plus the very large donut sized vent holes lead me to believe that this is an M40. But only a guess.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks! Would you mind circling where you see the decal? I didn’t catch that

And the vent holes looks stamped, I’m fairly sure they’re not separate pieces

MAP
    ?

Quote by mdhallan View Post
    Thanks! Would you mind circling where you see the decal? I didn’t catch that
    Maybe, maybe not

First attempt at a helmet "conservation"

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Good cleanup job!
    Enjoy it while it lasts, rust never really sleeps .....
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

wow thanks for letting me know, there is something there, and i'm almost certain it was a decal. I definitely wouldndt have seen that if you hadnt pointed it out
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First attempt at a helmet "conservation"   First attempt at a helmet "conservation"  

MAP
    ?

Quote by mdhallan View Post
    wow thanks for letting me know, there is something there, and i'm almost certain it was a decal. I definitely wouldndt have seen that if you hadnt pointed it out
    Our pleasure. I could not see anything on the other side but hard to tell from the photos. If no decal, then unless it was a reissued M35, my guess is that this was a single decal M40 Heer helmet

Yep, I checked the other side and I’m fairly sure there isn’t a decal in that side. The paint on the other side is also preserved a lot better so if there was one it should be easier to notice. Thanks again!