Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Helmet - original paint?

Article about: Hi all, I just picked up this German M(16?) helmet the other day from an auction. Not in the best of shape but definitely been worse out there. When I got it it had looked as if it had been

?

Default German Helmet - original paint?

Hi all,

I just picked up this German M(16?) helmet the other day from an auction. Not in the best of shape but definitely been worse out there. When I got it it had looked as if it had been sitting in a barn for the last 50 years. Washed it out gently a little and this is what I’m left with. Does appear to have the markings Si66 on the inside although they are difficult to see so could be something else (last pic).

The thing I’m looking for help on - is the black paint original or an add on? From the various paint splatter as well as the silver paint on the inside of the helmet it looks as if someone used it for an art project at one point. I do see what appears to be the original steel finish (picture 4) on the helmet in one area where the paint has cracked away. It almost looks like there have been two layers of black paint applied.

Also any idea as to whether the gold finish is original as well?

I’m no expert so just wanted to get other people’s opinions on the matter!

Thanks In advance

German Helmet - original paint?German Helmet - original paint?German Helmet - original paint?German Helmet - original paint?German Helmet - original paint?German Helmet - original paint?German Helmet - original paint?German Helmet - original paint?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Helmet - original paint?
    P
    Many

The paint is all post war done.

Firstly, it’s an M16 shell as denoted by the bolt heads either side of the helmet lower down which hold the chinstrap lugs inside the shell. However, it has been fitted with a steel M17 band as opposed to the leather band which was fitted to M16’s when they first came into service. There was never an M17 type shell produced. The shell is a size 66 and was produced by Eisenhuette Silesia, Paruschowitz Oberschlesien as identified by the Si stamping.

In my opinion the paint was applied after WW1. So as to provide a little context, it was painted with the liner pins out which might make sense if it was a helmet completely reissued to a branch for post war use, but not with this one. The paint lacks patina and appears to have been painted over a rusted shell with little to no evidence or WW1 field grey remaining. Appears to be three coats of paint on the shell in a fashion which in no way approaches the look of a period item in texture and appearance. The textured paint inside the skirt is also another red flag. Of interest, the shell still retains what looks to be a piece brass chinstrap hardware. These were changed to steel as the war progressed and brass became more of a scarce material required for munitions etc and hence are not as commonly encountered. At best, you could strip it and perhaps repaint in a more fitting period looking paint.

Andy

I am curious regarding the strange cracking pattern on the rear of the outside of this relic - not sure whether I'm seeing some trace of something beneath the black paint or just wishful thinking. If you were thinking of stripping off the black paint it would be interesting to start from the back.

Wonder what type of paint that is to crack and peel off like that? Could even be something a biker did in the late 60s/70s

?

Thank you all for the responses! I do plan to strip away the black paint. Hopefully find some original paint under there somewhere if it hasn’t all rusted. Any advice on the best way to do this?

?

Will definitely start in the back. There does appear to be some field grey under there but like you said could be wishful thinking. Will keep you updated.

?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    I am curious regarding the strange cracking pattern on the rear of the outside of this relic - not sure whether I'm seeing some trace of something beneath the black paint or just wishful thinking. If you were thinking of stripping off the black paint it would be interesting to start from the back.
    Sorry I know i replied below the same thing but new to this thread so just figured out how to properly respond. Will definitely start in the back. There does appear to be some field grey under there but like you said could be wishful thinking. Will keep you updated.

- - ------- - -

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Firstly, it’s an M16 shell as denoted by the bolt heads either side of the helmet lower down which hold the chinstrap lugs inside the shell. However, it has been fitted with a steel M17 band as opposed to the leather band which was fitted to M16’s when they first came into service. There was never an M17 type shell produced. The shell is a size 66 and was produced by Eisenhuette Silesia, Paruschowitz Oberschlesien as identified by the Si stamping.

In my opinion the paint was applied after WW1. So as to provide a little context, it was painted with the liner pins out which might make sense if it was a helmet completely reissued to a branch for post war use, but not with this one. The paint lacks patina and appears to have been painted over a rusted shell with little to no evidence or WW1 field grey remaining. Appears to be three coats of paint on the shell in a fashion which in no way approaches the look of a period item in texture and appearance. The textured paint inside the skirt is also another red flag. Of interest, the shell still retains what looks to be a piece brass chinstrap hardware. These were changed to steel as the war progressed and brass became more of a scarce material required for munitions etc and hence are not as commonly encountered. At best, you could strip it and perhaps repaint in a more fitting period looking paint.

Andy
    Thanks for the insight Andy. Much appreciated

Quote by rd416 View Post
    Thank you all for the responses! I do plan to strip away the black paint. Hopefully find some original paint under there somewhere if it hasn’t all rusted. Any advice on the best way to do this?
    You can use acetone or paint stripper. You might want to start with the inside of the skirt to get rid of the gold colour, do a small area and see how you get on.

?

Sorry for the late follow up. I finally got around to stripping the paint off the helmet and wanted to give you all a first look. There seems to be a layer of white paint underneath. Would that be more post war paint and should I strip that again or some form of winter camo?
    German Helmet - original paint?German Helmet - original paint?

Sorry for the crappy photos. Trying to keep at it but wanted to give an update

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast