Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

German m16 helmet: My first restoration project - need a beginner's guide

Article about: Hello everyone, I have recently purchased this original m16 helmet shell for quite cheap with the intention to restore it. I bought it as it is seen in the pictures, the top of the helmet ap

Default German m16 helmet: My first restoration project - need a beginner's guide

Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased this original m16 helmet shell for quite cheap with the intention to restore it. I bought it as it is seen in the pictures, the top of the helmet apparently had a hole that got filled with something synthetic. The helmet still has allot of pitting that I would like to fill, the problem is is that I don't know how or with what!
    So I would really appreciate it if people could help me get started.

My main questions are:
    - Do I need to remove the black paint in order to restore it or can I leave it on there whilst I smear on the stuff to fill in the pitting?
    - What should I buy to fill in the pitting?
    - What paint would be recommended to make it look as it did in 1916? I want to paint it with a brush for extra authenticity
    - Would anyone know what size it is? So that I can go look for a liner that fits (none of the stamps are visible)
    - Are there any recommendations for a primer and would I need one in the first place?

Thank you to anyone who is willing/able to help! It is much appreciated.
    Best regards,

Lucas

German m16 helmet: My first restoration project - need a beginner's guideGerman m16 helmet: My first restoration project - need a beginner's guideGerman m16 helmet: My first restoration project - need a beginner's guideGerman m16 helmet: My first restoration project - need a beginner's guideGerman m16 helmet: My first restoration project - need a beginner's guide

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German m16 helmet: My first restoration project - need a beginner's guide
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I've never restored a helmet but if you are going to fill in the pitting with some type of auto body type of filler, you need to take everything off down to the pure bare metal as your base, especially inside all of the pitting..
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hi Lucas, from the photos you might have a big hole on top filled with metal fibre or fiberglass reinforced car body filler.
    I have used both on big holes in 2 rusted out WW2 helmets.
    I'm not sure they did a good job on the top of the helmet and then I guess they gave up and just sprayed it.
    Grab some 400,800,and 1200 grit wet and dry paper plus some dustmasks and let loose.
    If you sand this back by hand it will give you less chance of making mistakes and more time learning the shape of the helmet .
    If you don't know anything about sanding check on YouTube or Google.
    I will try to add some restoration links that might help.
    YouTube has any number of these.
    At whatever point you are ready to find a liner I'm sure someone here can help with the sizing.
    Good luck with an enjoyable project.

?

WW2 German M40 Helmet Restoration.wmv - YouTube
    This is my favourite video on YouTube as an example if you want to restore a shell in this condition.
    I think he was a member of this forum early on.
    Find WW1 helmet photos to help you as a reference

Except the guy in the video ruined a still good looking relic with even original wire... dont do that. The helmet above is already overpainted and filled, so a perfect restoration example, goodluck!

Sorry for my late reply, I was having some technical difficulties.
    Thank you all for your help! Are there any specific sandpaper recommendations or would any do? And what type of body filler and paint would be recommended? Because I will start shopping for those things and then get started

(Btw, I would never ruin a good shell for a ''restoration'', that's why I picked this one out )