Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M35 SE66 lot 044 restoration (DD LW)

Article about: Thought I'd share one of my latest restorations here. Got this M35 a few months ago, had a "Bundeswehr" type camo on it (the colors looked like BW anyway) and it was extremely hard

Default M35 SE66 lot 044 restoration (DD LW)

Thought I'd share one of my latest restorations here.
    Got this M35 a few months ago, had a "Bundeswehr" type camo on it (the colors looked like BW anyway) and it was extremely hard to remove, I don't know what that paint was made of, but it sure did not want to go
    It came with the split pins and also the 1937 liner already in it, so these parts actually belong to the helmet.
    It was just missing the leather and had some weird foam(I think it was just cut up cleaning rugs) in it instead.
    I decided to make it a DD LW with a first patter straight leg decal and a 1937 dome stamp.
    I made a new leather piece for the liner and put it back together.
    I also added a name in the skirt (unfortunately I only have crappy paint and some pretty old brushes hence the mediocre result) "Bergrath" a name I found in my family's "Ahnenpaß" from a relative who lived in the late 18th century, thought it sounded cool which is why I used it.

I'd like to know what you lot think of it (the helmets in the background I also restored recently)

Luis
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 SE66 lot 044 restoration (DD LW)   M35 SE66 lot 044 restoration (DD LW)  

M35 SE66 lot 044 restoration (DD LW)   M35 SE66 lot 044 restoration (DD LW)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 SE66 lot 044 restoration (DD LW)
    P
    Many

Nothing wrong with the name at all! I fact, it's better than anything I've ever painted. I just restored a helmet myself, so I'll try to "out-paint" you now, lol!

Overall, very nicely done. I like the ink acceptance stamps. Did you get those from Warhats.com?

Beautiful restoration. I like your choice of early decal and the way you painted the name on the skirt!

Thanks for showing us.

Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    Nothing wrong with the name at all! I fact, it's better than anything I've ever painted. I just restored a helmet myself, so I'll try to "out-paint" you now, lol!

Overall, very nicely done. I like the ink acceptance stamps. Did you get those from Warhats.com?
    Thank you!
    The battle is on, then
    I may post some more of my restored helmets, though you can just as well see them on my youtube channel soon (only posted the first part of the endeavour yesterday)
    I did not get any stamps from Warhats.
    I actually designed them myself, just like my markings for the liner (in this case the "58" and the B61) .
    The warhats ones tend to use "lazy" fonts which are incorrect but look similar-ish, luckily at least for wartime ones I have found the actual same fonts that were used back then and those dome stamps are scarily close to originals imo.
    Unfortunately I only had one of each made so I can't just sell them to whoever wants one but that also means that fakers don't get their hands on them

Luis

P.S. this dome stamp is in an NS66 M42 I also restored recently, the dome stamp is for the NS factory as it reads "Abnahmestelle Schwerte/Rhld."
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 SE66 lot 044 restoration (DD LW)  
    Last edited by PotatoDigger; 02-01-2021 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Picture was rotated the wrong way around

Quote by Willmore View Post
    Beautiful restoration. I like your choice of early decal and the way you painted the name on the skirt!

Thanks for showing us.
    Thank you!