Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M40 restuaration questions for true experts...

Article about: Hi there, Need help with restoring my first Stahlhelm, an M40. I'm thinking of performing electrolysis on what appears to be minor surface rust but I'm affraid it will damage the original de

Kugelhagel
    ?

Question M40 restuaration questions for true experts...

Hi there,

Need help with restoring my first Stahlhelm, an M40. I'm thinking of performing electrolysis on what appears to be minor surface rust but I'm affraid it will damage the original decal, will this be the case? If so, what are the alternatives?

I'm also going to need help with removing the inner and outer liner rings and I want to know if electrolysis can be performed on them as well.

Furthermore, I'm not entirely shure of how to go through the entire restoration of the shell from derusting/paint removal to that new antiqued feldgrau finish, I might also have to smouth out small cracks and dents caused by rust. A step by step of all treatments that will ensure the helms protection and exact replication whilst retaining the original decal (very important) will be appreciated!

The helm is in relative good shape despite being neglegted for a long time, so I really want to do this the right way and do it justice. EXPERT HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

2. # ADS

Default Re: M40 restuaration questions for true experts...

Hi Kugelhagel, there are plenty of experts on here but I think before they can give advise it would be great if you could post a few pictures of the M40 both inside and outside pictures. It may be that as you say its in fairly good shape already, so it may be better just to leave it as it is.
    Look forward to seeing some pictures.
    All the best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

Yes, needs pictures first!
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

I agree , please mate dont touch it till we see some pics , by what you have described so far the helmet sounds pretty good , cheers Raymond

R.R
    ?

Yes I agree too, each helmet has it's own needs of care to preserve it. Without the pictures is dificult to determine the better way for this case.

Members who have read this thread: 1