Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My first Luftwaffe Refurb

Article about: I recently bought an original WWII ET62 M40 shell that was used postwar by the Czechoslovakians, for a restoration project. It was originally black, so I stripped the paint off with some ace

Default My first Luftwaffe Refurb

My first Luftwaffe Refurb

I recently bought an original WWII ET62 M40 shell that was used postwar by the Czechoslovakians, for a restoration project. It was originally black, so I stripped the paint off with some acetone. No original paint or decals were under the Czech paint. After all the paint was gone, I sprayed the shell with Feldgrau Dunkel from 1944 Militaria. The purists might be screaming at me for that, but I don't care. I've seen plenty of pictures on the net of Luftwaffe helmets that look grey/dark grey with no hint of blue on them. So there.

After a few coats, I applied the decal, also from 1944 militaria. It was simple and easy to put on, apart from a mistake on my part. (I tore a teeny tiny piece of the wing off at the tip - that happened on real helmets from time to time). Next came the liner. I'm glad I decided not to film it all, because I was cussing the liner out for all it was worth. I cut my fingers up on the aluminum, and couldn't get the split pins on to save my life. After half an hour (and the wars end) I got them on, and voila - wait... that's french - presto! Mint unissued Luftwaffe M40 Helmet.

I have not decided if I want to perhaps sell it as a repro, trade it for something, or keep it and paint my last name on the inner rim yet.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first Luftwaffe Refurb
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Nice photo skills. I would keep it after all the work you put into it.

If you sell it, I'm sure one day we will see it posted here asking if it is original
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

By the way, the lot number is 832. According to German Helmet Vaults Lot Number database, most of the helmets in the 830 series preceding and following 832 ((which was not listed) were LW SD M40's.

Default Luftwaffe M40 Winter camo "restoration"... sort of.

My first Luftwaffe RefurbMy first Luftwaffe Refurb

I might get some Flak on this one (no pun intended) because of how it looks. This was in no way meant to be faked for deception, but rather made to represent a helmet of higher value, that can be enjoyed by someone (me) with a very low budget. You remember the Luftwaffe refurb I did a while back? Same helmet, but painted over with a whitewash, then aged with powdered pastels, sealed in a clear coat, then had some added wear. The liner was darkened, but that was about it. I even painted the name of a "soldier" (If this man actually did belong to that regiment, it is purely coincidental.) and his unit, the 37th Motorized Flak unit on the inner rim. The 37th was used as a last ditch tank destroying effort during the battle of Stalingrad, hence the winter camo. H. Fritz was the name of one of my German relatives.

I don't know if I'll sell it now, because even if I sell it as a repro there's always the chance for someone to sell it as real later on, but of course that is the risk with any refurb. At least this one's documented now.

MAP
    ?

Nice job (although you know I would rather leave a helmet as is )

If you ever do sell it, you should somehow mark permanently to indicate it is re-worked. Although it would never pass muster from people who actively study and collect helmets, there are many many more that will be fooled.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Nice job (although you know I would rather leave a helmet as is )

If you ever do sell it, you should somehow mark permanently to indicate it is re-worked. Although it would never pass muster from people who actively study and collect helmets, there are many many more that will be fooled.
    Thanks, and thank you for moving the thread... I didn't really know where to put it since it was kind of a restoration, but not.

I'll have to figure out a way to mark it somehow, but I think for now I'm happy to have it on my shelf.

?

a nice job!