Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

This named M40 helmet might have been worn by a German soldier at Stalingrad

Article about: I purchased this helmet is partially restored condition, the exterior was sanded and primed, it also seems to had a hole on top that was patch welded. There is significant pitting inside, so

?

Default This named M40 helmet might have been worn by a German soldier at Stalingrad

I purchased this helmet is partially restored condition, the exterior was sanded and primed, it also seems to had a hole on top that was patch welded.
    There is significant pitting inside, so this helmet was probably buried in the ground for decades.

It's inscribed "Owm. Schwarzer" - a Oberwachtmeister Johann Schwarzer is mentioned in the book Death of the Leaping Horseman: 24th Panzer-Division in Stalingrad.

It's a NS66 with lot number 7373 or 7375 (it's hard to tell due to the rust)

This named M40 helmet might have been worn by a German soldier at StalingradThis named M40 helmet might have been worn by a German soldier at StalingradThis named M40 helmet might have been worn by a German soldier at StalingradThis named M40 helmet might have been worn by a German soldier at StalingradThis named M40 helmet might have been worn by a German soldier at StalingradThis named M40 helmet might have been worn by a German soldier at StalingradThis named M40 helmet might have been worn by a German soldier at StalingradThis named M40 helmet might have been worn by a German soldier at StalingradThis named M40 helmet might have been worn by a German soldier at Stalingrad

Now I have no way to definitively prove that this helmet belonged to this man, but the name is spelled exactly the same and the rank is the same.

Also this helmet was in very poor relic condition when found and it was most likely buried in the ground for many decades, the 24th Panzer division was destroyed at Stalingrad so this adds some credence to my theory. I do not know the fate of this man, but being the entire 6th Army was destroyed it's believable that his helmet could have ended up buried there for decades.

Oberwachtmeister Johann Schwarzer was a member of 1st Kompanie, Panzer-Artillerie-Regiment 89, 24th Panzer division. He was awarded the German Cross in Gold on October 9th 1942, that is the last time he was mentioned in the book "Death of the Leaping Horseman"

I finished the restoration by painting it in Feldgrau Dunkel and installing a repro liner

I wish the previous owner had left it in relic condition, either way it's still a fantastic piece of history and I'm happy to have it in my collection.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement This named M40 helmet might have been worn by a German soldier at Stalingrad
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Agree. It should have been left as is.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Agree. It should have been left as is.
    I purchased it because size 66 is rare, most are size 64.
    Size 66 Stahlhelms in good original condition can be extremely expensive
    Obviously I would have preferred original condition.

Unfortunately, the fakers have access to this type of information, so they will use this information to make their fakes more "desirable".
    There is no way to prove if this helmet actually belonged to this soldier.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Unfortunately, the fakers have access to this type of information, so they will use this information to make their fakes more "desirable".
    There is no way to prove if this helmet actually belonged to this soldier.
    Ralph.
    I guess you did bother to look at the photos of the name and rank inscription, oh well.
    I'm not go to argue or debate with you, that part of the helmet is as real as the steel it's painted on.
    That inscription is 100% real
    Is it the same soldier who fought in Stalingrad ? maybe or maybe not who knows? there is no way to prove it.
    But that inscription is obviously real, there are missing flakes of white paint that corresponds with the pitting and small pot marks in the steel and there is soo much age and patina to it. No one can fake anything like that and for you to even think that is nonsensical.
    This is why I don't like this forum, there are countless threads here with negative replies and accusations of fakery, sure there are many fakes, but not EVERYTHING is fake.
    First thought that pops in your mind "that guys name is in a book, it must be fakers again" Sad

Neither the name nor the rank is that unusual. Unless you have dug the helmet from Stalingrad yourself then it is impossible to be sure it belonged to Oberwachtmeister Johann Schwarzer of Pz Art Rgt 89. This is what Ralph is implying I think.

?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Neither the name nor the rank is that unusual. Unless you have dug the helmet from Stalingrad yourself then it is impossible to be sure it belonged to Oberwachtmeister Johann Schwarzer of Pz Art Rgt 89. This is what Ralph is implying I think.
    There is no reason for him to even bring that up, I'm fully aware of this and I even mentioned it in the original post
    And there is no reason for you to reiterate that fact either.
    Read the op
    Do any of you people actually read anything here?
    No way of me actually proving it but it's possible, the both of you insinuate that it's impossible.
    The inscription inside of this helmet is 100% real and there is a "possibility" that it belonged to the soldier mentioned in the book
    This is why I wanted this thread deleted, because of absolutely ridiculous nonsensical replies that seem to be the norm here
    This helmet was just absolutely hated by this forum, look at all of the replies a mod already deleted. The inscription is a as original as the German steel that it's painted on.
    The original exterior paint was already stripped when I purchased it, does that mean this helmet is garbage now? Should it be destroyed? It's 100% fake?
    I begged the mod to delete this thread because of people like this.

MAP
    ?

And I explained to you multiple times that just because you got negative feedback does not mean a thread will be deleted.

Obviously, you don't like it here as anything less than positive feedback is not acceptable to you.

No one is forcing you to stay. And likely we will show you the door.

Thread closed.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MLDL90 View Post
    The inscription inside of this helmet is 100% real
    Right, and due to your vast experience, you know this for sure?
    Hello all
    Ralph.

See, we do read.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)