Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

NSDAP vulc fibre visor reshaping

Article about: Read through some threads re. reshaping visor hats and found some useful info on reshaping the general form and possibly linerband but found no real info on how to reshape the actual visor (

"The Internet doesn't tell you all!"

Do buy Wim's books and may he write many more.

The point about the sharing of knowledge is crucial, since knowledge is cascading into the space in a disorderly way.

There are not a lot of people who share their knowledge well, but Wim is surely one of them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NSDAP vulc fibre visor reshaping
    P
    Many

But for how long, I am able to continue F.B. ?
    Three quarters of a century have passed next week.
    So not much time is left for me!

And the younger generation is not willing to write.
    A problem much of them have is, they cannot properly
    read German and surely not the Gothic script.

OK --- so, I have done some gentle work on it and it turned out fine. No damage or anything and it straightened out quite a bit, not fully, but acceptable. Displayed here with the newly arrived political collar (thanks to FB's help in another thread), not 100% on using the head but I had it laying around so I thought I might as well use it.

Thanks again to all who helped.

NSDAP vulc fibre visor reshaping

Very nicely done! But, I would caution, you Really shouldn't use Styrofoam heads to display vintage caps on. Wood or glass are fine and safe, but Styrofoam can damage a cap over time.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thank you, William... appreciate it! Yes... I am aware of the issue and I actually thought about putting that disclaimer in there. For the collar I use a layer of archival sheet paper as a buffer between the cloth and styrofoam and I am planning to do the same for the visor (if I decide to leave it displayed like this)... so, don't worry... I always look out for these issues and, as a general rule, I try to keep displays as period as can be... meaning as little non-period intrusion as possible.

MAP
    ?

My input here can not compare to the likes of Wim/FB...but to build off what William said...the story is the Styrofoam is not good. I have never seen the impact of this myself but I don't tempt fate...

I have 2 or 3 styro heads which I have covered with a cut up old cotton tee shirt (where the visor touches the styro). I also never leave a visor resting on the brim (again, no experience of this hurting but only what I have been told...so again why tempt fate.)

For all my visors, I buy quality foam cushion materials (for seat cushions) 2 or 3 inches thick. I cut it ever so slightly larger than the size of the visor and cover again with one or two layer of cotton. It looks like a single layer cake...LoL. I insert this into the visor. It ever so gently helps it keep its shape without putting too much pressure on the 75+ year old leather and thread....but is still flexible...
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3