Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Protecting armbands?

Article about: Hi, I'm looking for some sort of protective sleeve to protect some armbands, namely NSDAP & civil service. Acid-free is a must, and anti-reflective would be very nice. My armbands are cu

Quote by MAP View Post
    Typically called "Riker" cases, they are made by many companies.

Here is Rikers website.

New Page

A quick google search and you should find many options. They are also sold in arts & crafts stores as well.
    Thank you, I'll soon check the options.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Protecting armbands?
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

My favorite boxes are made by Timeless. They are front opening shadow boxes meant for hanging on the wall. They might not be what you are looking for however as they have approx. a 1 inch space between the glass and padding. Perfect for medals or items that have depth.

Frames - Shadow Box | Timeless Frames
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

If you are still wanting to protect your armbands you may place them in Mylar sleeves. These sleeves are most common for currency, are acid free and archival safe document holder and they come in various sizes but you can also purchase Mylar sleeves that are as large as 11x17 and you can cut these down to fit the armbands..

Smitty

Quote by MAP View Post
    Typically called "Riker" cases, they are made by many companies.

Here is Rikers website.

New Page

A quick google search and you should find many options. They are also sold in arts & crafts stores as well.
    Thank you, I'll soon check the options.

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    If you are still wanting to protect your armbands you may place them in Mylar sleeves. These sleeves are most common for currency, are acid free and archival safe document holder and they come in various sizes but you can also purchase Mylar sleeves that are as large as 11x17 and you can cut these down to fit the armbands..

Smitty
    I mainly collect paper currencies so I know what you mean. it seems like a nice option, there are plenty of companies who produce archival safe sleeves across the globe. although armbands are way thicker than paper currencies, and therefore I afraid that most of the sleeves that are being sold online are not intended to hold such artifacts as armbands.

Quote by MAP View Post
    My favorite boxes are made by Timeless. They are front opening shadow boxes meant for hanging on the wall. They might not be what you are looking for however as they have approx. a 1 inch space between the glass and padding. Perfect for medals or items that have depth.

Frames - Shadow Box | Timeless Frames
    I have checked the website, and it looks promising. what is the best size for a box that is intended to display several armbands in your opinion?

The larger sheets of Mylar that can be cut down will work just fine for the armbands, they are durable enough to accommodate the thickness of the armbands. SS cuff titles also will fit in the Mylar quite nicely..

There are 2 companies in the US that specialize in archival and museum quality conservation/preservation products.. Gaylord Archival: Gaylord Archival | Archival Supplies, Exhibit & Display Cases

The second company is University Products... University Products - Museum Quality Archival Supplies

These are of course top of the line supply companies and they are not cheap, but there are plenty of compatible stores that carry the same or similar type of museum quality archival items for a much lower price...

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    The larger sheets of Mylar that can be cut down will work just fine for the armbands, they are durable enough to accommodate the thickness of the armbands. SS cuff titles also will fit in the Mylar quite nicely..

There are 2 companies in the US that specialize in archival and museum quality conservation/preservation products.. Gaylord Archival: Gaylord Archival | Archival Supplies, Exhibit & Display Cases

The second company is University Products... University Products - Museum Quality Archival Supplies

These are of course top of the line supply companies and they are not cheap, but there are plenty of compatible stores that carry the same or similar type of museum quality archival items for a much lower price...

Smitty
    seems reasonable, both websites look very reliable. of course all of the quality-made products are not cheap, but it can be justified considering that you preserve valueable artifacts by using those products. at the end of the day, it worths the price.

MAP
    ?

Quote by ZeraAmalek View Post
    I have checked the website, and it looks promising. what is the best size for a box that is intended to display several armbands in your opinion?
    It all depends on what you want to fix in the box. Usually with an armband, you can improve the display by adding an award or something else.

One note. The boxes are nice but the padded backing is a plain tan material. I cover all mine with a a velvet type material. Usually deep red or black (depending on what I'm displaying)

Here are some very old photos that should help you out. See posts #124 and #126

My Collection - A portion
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3