Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Removing modern paint to reveal rust

Article about: Hi I've just acquired a stick grenade relic I would like to remove the paint to reveal the rust underneath as I think it tells a better story. Acetone seems to be a common way to do it but I

Default Removing modern paint to reveal rust

Hi
    I've just acquired a stick grenade relic
    I would like to remove the paint to reveal the rust underneath as I think it tells a better story.
    Acetone seems to be a common way to do it but I thought I would ask for opinions.
    I'm not sure what sort of paint it is I have a helmet with the same type of paint. I'm not worried about reducing the stability as I believe I can strengthen from the inside using Polymorph Thermoplastic (which is great stuff)

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Mycall2758; 01-27-2024 at 03:52 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Removing modern paint to reveal rust
    P
    Many

I think this is an earlier example than the one I own, yours is the first type from 1915. Is it complete of just the head? Acetone or paint stripper will get the paint off but at least this paint is holding it together for now.

Hi
    Black cat ..the Grenade is complete ish...Its missing the bottom cap but I like to think it was primed and thrown but never went off...It feels pretty solid for a rusty piece of metal. Should the head unscrew from the handle at the moment it feels pretty stuck. I would like to remove the head to stabilise it from the inside. I'm a bit nervous about removing the top cap as i'm not quiet sure the clips would hold up to being bent. Any suggestions welcomed..

Yes the head unscrewed from the threaded cap on the top of the handle. You might try some penetrating oil to ease it apart but it could be very fragile.