Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Restoring a Pickelhaube.

Article about: Some time ago I bought a Pickelhaube shell for 15 euro. I restored it with original parts. I think it was used by kids to play with. Due to lack of funds at the time and the fun of bringing

Hi AZPhil,

I sew in the old liners in where necessary. I started with sewing the visors. I had to used micro-drills to make the holes. Very painstaking work. (I lost a lot of blood ) I found an old style shoemaker who had the skills to sew the visors on by hand. This after a lot of refusals from shoemakers who didn't dare to take on the job.

Know to choose your battles, I suppose.

Cheers Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Restoring a Pickelhaube.
    P
    Many

Rene,

No resources needed. Just effort and patience. Very, very nice Garde du Corps helmet. What do you want to do with it? Bring it back in form is no problem. Fixing the back visor? You consider to replace it. The fact that it's lacquered black looks off to me IMHO. This counts also for the front visor. Most examples I know are not lacquered on the inside. But I could be wrong. I would go for it. At least to get it back in form. M15 peaks are rare but still on sale on Ebay.

Cheers Paul

I really like the restoration my friend, could you show us more of the process of the restoration if possible?

I look forward to seeing your "other" restorations/work

Sadly enough I did not document the projects this time. But next time I will from start to finish. I didn't think it mattered at that time. But I just finish two other ones. A M15 Prussian and a Saxon NCO pickelhaube.

Check them out:

M15 vet bring back from US. Bought it from an secondhandstore on Ebay. It was pretty flat, like an elephant sat on it. I brought it back in form. Added the visors and frontrim, frontplate (which fitted exactly in the ghost print of the Prussian Wappen left in the lacquer) and of course the Parierschiene. I found a spike in France and put that one on. Also got me the cocardes and a repro chinstrap.

Restoring a Pickelhaube.

Restoring a Pickelhaube.

Restoring a Pickelhaube.

Restoring a Pickelhaube.

Restoring a Pickelhaube.

Restoring a Pickelhaube.

The Saxon NCO:
    The Saxon cocarde is a repro. I'm looking for a original. I'm not happy with the back visor. In the future I will change that. It is getting harder and more expensive to find original parts that fit. This resulted in having a spare part collection. Hmmmm...

Restoring a Pickelhaube.

Restoring a Pickelhaube.

Restoring a Pickelhaube.

Restoring a Pickelhaube.

Restoring a Pickelhaube.

This is a work in progress. Model 15 B.A.XI 1915 stamped. Named ( I have to investigate the previous owner). The corpus was complete with front and back visor. Top inner and outer plate and the parierschiene are installed. I did put the wappen I used for previous the pickelhaube for fit. A perfect fit. This should be a Thüringen Regiment.

Restoring a Pickelhaube.

I hope they are getting better after all this practice. Like the Germans say: Übung macht den Meister.

Cheers Paul

Great pictures.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2