Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Schirmmutze Bayern 1910, Need advice on how to restore.

Article about: Hi I recently bought this Schirmmutzen that’s from a bayern regiment, the whole rim is not loose but a part of it has become separated. I need some advice on how to fix this issue. Also th

Default Schirmmutze Bayern 1910, Need advice on how to restore.

Hi I recently bought this Schirmmutzen that’s from a bayern regiment, the whole rim is not loose but a part of it has become separated. I need some advice on how to fix this issue. Also the top has moth holes, which I think is not fixable. Any help is good, Thank you.

Schirmmutze Bayern 1910, Need advice on how to restore. Schirmmutze Bayern 1910, Need advice on how to restore. Schirmmutze Bayern 1910, Need advice on how to restore. Schirmmutze Bayern 1910, Need advice on how to restore.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Schirmmutze Bayern 1910, Need advice on how to restore.
    P
    Many

I see you like to have some challenges. I would try to get some advise from a hat maker. What you at least could do is steam the top to make sure that all moth activity is terminated. If you do a full restoration please document it on the forum so we all can learn something.

Cheers and good luck.

Paul

Its going to be a challenge, luckily my neighbour is a hatmaker he might know a thing or two. I will be sure to document everything here, I only paid about 5% of the price that a good condition go for. So I am happy with what I got for only the fraction of the price. You mentioned steam, I might just try that.

?

The peak is easy enough to re-stitch. Just flip the sweatband out of the way (so you don’t punch through it), and follow the style and existing stitch holes from the surviving thread.

As for the top, well, as Paul says, the best you can do is arrest any infestation. Thereafter, it all depends upon the degree of restoration you seek.. patching up and preserving what remains, or a full rebuild, which will require the near complete disassembly of the entire cap (you will have to effectively turn it inside-out), and the sourcing of a well matched cloth.

I could do it, but I appreciate it’s your project, so that’s not the point. However, such a venture is not for the feint-hearted or inexperienced. Aside from seeking the advice that Paul wisely recommends, why not pick up a cheap modern cap and experiment, just to understand how these things are made, before taking on such an interesting challenge?
    Bonne chance! Courage, mon brave!

Moths have such excellent taste.. it’s always the good stuff.
    An otherwise lovely cap.

Thank you for the great feedback Kohima. I think I will do an assesment on cap and see overall what can be done and what cant be done. I might just buy a cheap replica to understand the construction. Otherwise if all fails, would you be able to offer your services to me?

Best regards Patrik

?

Oh, blimey.. should have kept my mouth shut!

You have to remember that virtually every sewn product is largely assembled inside-out, so you need to reverse that process..
    One of the hardest things (to start with) is convincingly matching the fabric, in colour and weave and age.
    I won’t sugar coat it - this is a major task, and I’m not sure I really want to take it on. If I did, I wonder if the finished result would reward the time spent; it would always be a restored cap, rather than an original. Such a shame, as it is otherwise a really nice example..
    PM me and we can talk more..

I dont want pressure you into doing anything you dont want to do, and I understand the huge craftmanship that goes into restoring something. I applaud you for the talent that you have, I will send you a pm.

Best regards Patrik

Update the Schirmmütze came today. Also fixed the visor(as shown), as I was fixing the visor I found a nametag together with a regiment and unit number. Was named Mühlbauer, KB IR 6. This was a hidden suprise for me, and for only 30 euros its a very nice discovery. Schirmmutze Bayern 1910, Need advice on how to restore. Schirmmutze Bayern 1910, Need advice on how to restore.

Schirmmutze Bayern 1910, Need advice on how to restore. Schirmmutze Bayern 1910, Need advice on how to restore. Schirmmutze Bayern 1910, Need advice on how to restore. Schirmmutze Bayern 1910, Need advice on how to restore. Schirmmutze Bayern 1910, Need advice on how to restore. Schirmmutze Bayern 1910, Need advice on how to restore.