Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Thai helmet back to japanese helmet

Article about: Hello everyone, So I was wondering if it was possible (and a good idea) to transform (or restore) a Thai helmet back to japanese. What I mean is: Taking out the French M26 helmet liner holde

Default Thai helmet back to japanese helmet

Hello everyone,

So I was wondering if it was possible (and a good idea) to transform (or restore) a Thai helmet back to japanese. What I mean is: Taking out the French M26 helmet liner holder (the metal "T"), refilling the extra drill holes (which is suprisingly easy) and finally finding good Japanese liner, chinstrap (and its "D" shape holders for the cotton liner) repro. My questions are: Could this damage even further the helmet? Would this repair damage the price of the helmet itself (or increase it)? And, do you know where to find all the japanese replacement parts?

Thanks for your reply!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thai helmet back to japanese helmet
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Quote by RasgoneEnig View Post
    Hello everyone,

So I was wondering if it was possible (and a good idea) to transform (or restore) a Thai helmet back to japanese. What I mean is: Taking out the French M26 helmet liner holder (the metal "T"), refilling the extra drill holes (which is suprisingly easy) and finally finding good Japanese liner, chinstrap (and its "D" shape holders for the cotton liner) repro. My questions are: Could this damage even further the helmet? Would this repair damage the price of the helmet itself (or increase it)? And, do you know where to find all the japanese replacement parts?

Thanks for your reply!
    I have never been a fan of helmet conversions. The helmet as it current stands is a Thai helmet. Embrace it for what it is.

Converting it back to a Japanese helmet will do zero for value (in fact it will probably reduce the value) and the "history" of the helmet will be lost.

No different than a Norwegian helmet using a WW2 German shell. Years ago, these surplus Norwegian helmets were bought in bulk and "converted" back to German helmets. Not only are untouched Norwegian helmets now desirable but the ones that have been reconverted back to "WW2" German configuration have little value.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for your reply! I thought about making the conversion because I have 2 thai helmets, one in pretty good shape and the other one in horrendous shape. I was thinking about converting the damaged one into japanese, since the 4 "T" shape liner holders where broken.

MAP
    ?

Quote by RasgoneEnig View Post
    Thanks for your reply! I thought about making the conversion because I have 2 thai helmets, one in pretty good shape and the other one in horrendous shape. I was thinking about converting the damaged one into japanese, since the 4 "T" shape liner holders where broken.
    If the helmet has little to no value, and you want to have a representative "example" of a WW2 Japanese helmet, then by all means go for it. But it will never be an original WW2 Japanese helmet.

Just my own opinions.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I totally agree, quite apart from the erasing of history, it may be worth more as a Thai used Japanese helmet, than a scrubbed refurbished retro to Japanese spec.