Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

WW2 "Rupert" Parachute Dummy Replica.

Article about: I bought this "Rupert" replica, as I can't afford thousands of £\\$'s on a genuine example (if you can get one ). Quite basic in design, it's made of Hessian sack material and is ab

Default WW2 "Rupert" Parachute Dummy Replica.

I bought this "Rupert" replica, as I can't afford thousands of £$'s on a genuine example (if you can get one ).

Quite basic in design, it's made of Hessian sack material and is about 3ft. tall.

It's a very coarse material and he also had fire crackers attached, exploding as he fell to earth.

He needs a bit of help to make him look better, and a bigger parachute is going to be needed.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 "Rupert" Parachute Dummy Replica.   WW2 "Rupert" Parachute Dummy Replica.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 "Rupert" Parachute Dummy Replica.
    P
    Many

Default Belly Pouch?

The pouch for the parachute is hard to find any info' on, and how the parachute is actually attached?

I've added the three white strips, as I have seen these in different pictures of one's in Museums and Private collections.

I also need the arm/leg ties and these will be sought promptly.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 "Rupert" Parachute Dummy Replica.   WW2 "Rupert" Parachute Dummy Replica.  

Default The Parachute?

Although this parachute isn't correct, it will do for now.

I do need a bigger one (don't we all ) and I'm sure one will be found soon.

The small lanyard is very similar to a actual example and this helped the 'chute to open on it's way down.

One problem is how the 'chute and lanyard were actually attached?

I can't find any pictures of inside pouch with any 'chute hook or loop?

Known as "Operation Titanic", these dummies helped in fooling and confusing the Germans.

They moved certain combat units to where these "Ruperts" landed.

Dropped all over Normandy, only a few have survived to this day, but they do pop up now and then and the prices are rising.

So, I'll try and bring this replica up to scratch and see if I can find the missing clues for the parachute to be added.

May be some body reading this can help?

This is the only ref I have, hope it helps?

I have a few images from the Caen Museum and the Pegasus Bridge Musuem when I was there in 2012..

I'm not sure if these help or not..

Smitty

WW2 "Rupert" Parachute Dummy Replica.   WW2 "Rupert" Parachute Dummy Replica.  

MAP
    ?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Yep, I've seen all of the online pictures of the "Ruperts".

But not one picture shows the inside of the back pouch, with any attachments..

There must have been a loop or a clip hook of some king, for the Parachute to hold the dummy??

Many thanks for the pictures.

Just have to keep looking
    Last edited by The Devil's Bank; 12-01-2021 at 04:10 PM.

Just a small update to show work is continuing with further research..

The small arms and leg ties are now added, although the ties are a little on the big side, not bothered really.

I'm sure "Rupert" is quite happy to be brought up to date...

I've been in contact with a Para web-site and they have four "Ruperts" (yes 4).

I've asked them for pictures of the inside pouch to see what is keeping the 'chute to the dummy?

So, from the pictures I've seen, the parachute rigging has a loop on one end (3rd bottom).

The lanyard is attached to that (2nd bottom).

When the pouch is tied up, you can see how the two join together (top).

The "other" end of the lanyard is attached to the plane, and when "Rupert" is thrown out, these combine to open 'chute.

This is what I can gather from pictures of Museum "Ruperts", I'm not 100% sure, but.. this makes sense.

As for what keeps the then whole thing in place is baffling me and there's more questions than answers.

WW2 "Rupert" Parachute Dummy Replica.   WW2 "Rupert" Parachute Dummy Replica.  

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast