Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Zinc pest?

Article about: Im a bit scarred that my IAB has a small spot of zinc pest or other corrosion that will be a problem in the long run. I read other threads in the forum and heard of the Vaseline method. The

?

Default Zinc pest?

Im a bit scared that my IAB has a small spot of zinc pest or other corrosion that will be a problem in the long run. I read other threads in the forum and heard of the Vaseline method. The spot (the oak leave in the top right corner of the medal which touches the eagle) in question is not really big and it’s been there since at least 2020 without getting bigger or anything. Should I just put a bit of Vaseline on the spot or leave it as it is? As it’s a medal from a relative I want to preserve it and the monetary aspect is not too important to me.

Anon

Zinc pest?
    Zinc pest?
    Zinc pest?
    Zinc pest?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Zinc pest?
    P
    Many

I did the same on a badge that I own, you can also get a product called renaissance wax, which does the same, it creates a barrier to the affected part away from the air, thus preventing any further decay. I would suggest storing it in a cool dry place, as I'm sure I've read that humidity adds to the problem. Bearing in mind the badge is the best part of 80 years old, & has that little spot, the chances it will still look the same in another 80 years (with the coat of vaseline on the spot & stored accordingly) !
    Cheeers
    Paul

?

So I just put some Vaseline on the spot let it sit and wipe most of it off? Would you suggest to only do this little area or the whole badge as a preventive measurement ? If you think that I should do nothing and only if it gets worse then please also tell me. I know for certain that it didn’t get worse since 2020 and I’m even not sure if it is corrosion or just some dirt.
    I have it displayed in a frame on my wall and I would prefer it staying there. Only if there is a thread to the medal I would put it away.

Regards
    Anon

It may only be a slight stain of some sort. If you are able to have a really close look (ie a loupe/magnifying glass), you'll see a white powdery substance....that would be zinc pest. Generally speaking you would find it at other places too. If it's just the one spot, I'd gently remove the white powder, & wipe a minimal amount of vaseline on that area alone, no more detrioration....your nice heirloom will 'see you out'
    Paul

Looking at the badge again, you may have a few other spots too, just do the same mate !
    Paul

Your thread was posted in the wrong section, and was not to discuss the badge itself, so, I have moved it to the Restoration section.

I suggest you apply Vaseline liberally to the affected area, leave for 24 hours, and then wipe off as much as you possibly can.
    Then, you can apply Ren-Wax if you desire.
    I normally do not apply Ren-Wax to my badges.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Thank you both for the feedback! I did look though a magnifying glass and I can’t see much it could very well be a white powder but it’s not a lot there so I can’t really tell. I tried removing it with a brush but it seemingly sticks to it and can’t be easily removed. The other possible spots are just normal brownish stains probably dirt from being in a drawer for 70 years or still earth from when he was in combat. I couldn’t find any more whitish or greyish spots so I hope it’s the last one after I treat it with Vaseline as you both explained to me!

Kind regards
    Anon