MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The collectors toolbox

Article about: Often the devices we have or don't have in our collecting toolbox are overlooked, listed here is some of the gear needed to successfully perform some of the tasks when researching, making as

Ditto all the above & importantly, natural sunlight, preferably low, afternoon light.....it picks out the details
    Paul

?

An open mind. Not everything is straight out of a text book.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

great thread.

and of course we need the money....
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

As a museum professional a lot of what I do on a daily basis at work in curation also spills over into my personal collection as far as conservation and preservation.

Gloves are a must especially when handling rare documents, books as well as metals and textiles. Dagger blades and edged weapons can become ruined after handling with dirty hands. One does not often think about the surface dirt and oils that are on one's hands and believe me they will stain and destroy artifacts just as quickly as other elements of humidity, temperature, insects, etc.

A box of nitrile gloves or cloth cotton gloves should be used whenever handling your artifacts. The nitrile gloves or latex gloves can be purchased at local drug stores and other outlets and the cotton cloth gloves can be purchased in bulk and they can be reused after washing in hot water.

Archival document protectors and mylar sheets should also be used to protect paper and documents as well as photos. These items are all available at many hobby stores and office supply stores or can be ordered through some of the museum supply companies like Gaylord, University Products or U-Line.

Best regards all

Smitty

The collectors toolbox

Always one or the other in my pocket whether I'm out in the fields or at a show.

The collectors toolbox

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2