Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Alleged early BW Para helmet - or is it?

Article about: Hi Gents, I wonder if anyone has an opinion on this one? It is advertised as an early (seller in Germany spells the German word wrong!!) BW para helmet. The liner is clearly the same as thos

Default Alleged early BW Para helmet - or is it?

Hi Gents,

I wonder if anyone has an opinion on this one?

It is advertised as an early (seller in Germany spells the German word wrong!!) BW para helmet.

The liner is clearly the same as those fitted to GSG9 / SEK helmets but it looks wrong here. To me it looks like it has been forced into a shell that is too small.

The shell is so badly photographed (deliberately perhaps?) that it is very difficult to discern the overall shape but from the thickness of the rim it appears like a steel shell as it is too thin for a composite material. The profile of the liner securing bolts looks familiar too but not from this type of helmet.

Any thoughts?

Alleged early BW Para helmet - or is it?Alleged early BW Para helmet - or is it?Alleged early BW Para helmet - or is it?Alleged early BW Para helmet - or is it?

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-07-2018 at 04:19 PM. Reason: missing word
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Hi Mark I do have access to information in regards to these helmet systems I will try and post a little later in the day as Iam at work...

Regards Mark

Quote by Mark K View Post
    Hi Mark I do have access to information in regards to these helmet systems I will try and post a little later in the day as Iam at work...

Regards Mark
    Thanks Mark,

I'll look out for it. This one just doesn't look like one thing or the other at the moment!

Regards

Mark
    PS It's good to know there are more people who work weekends as well! I should be in work today but have been afflicted by the old "Winter Malaise!!" I can barely swing a keyboard!
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Hi Mark there is a fairly good thread in regards to these particular helmet systems at one of the helmet forums I belong to I will have a look later from my PC and yes no rest for the weary 10 more days on shift then I rotate out home..

Regards Mark

?

Mark in all honesty I think it stands a chance of being a good example and it is nearly an exact match to one I have seen in another helmet collecting group the thought behind it is that they are a Versuchshelm of either the Bundeswehr or the SEK Polizei and they are believed to have been modified from a BW M60 and or a cut down M59 or even an M56 (M1 clone) I have seen other examples as well that have been fitted with a protective rubber buffer around the rim..
    I have asked the owner of the helmet if he would be kind enough to allow me to post a couple images of his for comparison I will keep you updated..

Regards Mark

Thanks Mark,

In the interim I think I worked it out and the issue is that the rubber rim is missing which kind of makes it incomplete with no chance of finding a replacement rim.

Regards

Mark

?

Interestingly Mark the one example I was going to post for comparison is devoid of the rubber ring and it would appear that it never had one in place finding a proper period replacement would likely be paramount to near impossible if it had one and is missing...

Regards Mark

?

A few images for comparison Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Alleged early BW Para helmet - or is it?   Alleged early BW Para helmet - or is it?  

Alleged early BW Para helmet - or is it?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Alleged early BW Para helmet - or is it? 

Quote by Mark K View Post
    A few images for comparison Mark
    Thanks Mark, that is exactly like the one I was looking at and does seem to have never had a rubber rim.
    It sold for 81 euros which was a bit more than I was willing to pay.

Who knows the story of these I wonder?

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark Looks most definately like a very crudely cut down M1A1 LL and i feel you did the right thing letting this one go as i don't think it is legit as far as i know the SEK helmets had little more than the front brim removed and still retained much of the flowing M1A1 LL shell rim profile West German Helmets - Page 24 - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast