Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Austrian (Bundesheer ) M-58

Article about: This Austrian M-58 is a recent acquisition and will nicely fill a gap in my Euro-clones , Production of this helmet started in 1958 the helmet body is a 1959 dated rear seam swivel bale and

?

Default Austrian (Bundesheer ) M-58

This Austrian M-58 is a recent acquisition and will nicely fill a gap in my Euro-clones , Production of this helmet started in 1958 the helmet body is a 1959 dated rear seam swivel bale and manufactured from manganese steel it weighs in at approx. 1.4 kilograms...
    It is sporting an early 2nd variation liner which were constructed of cotton fibre formed in a high pressure mould a manufacturing process that was identical to US M-1 liners of the time...
    The liner is pre drilled with 6 holes for the suspension system and 3 holes for the neck support it has an eyelet set to the front for attaching a badge of service... It has the riddle type suspension with brown/tan webbing and black leather chinstrap....

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Austrian (Bundesheer ) M-58   Austrian (Bundesheer ) M-58  

Austrian (Bundesheer ) M-58   Austrian (Bundesheer ) M-58  

Austrian (Bundesheer ) M-58   Austrian (Bundesheer ) M-58  

I feel that your liner is much more unusual than you seem to think. Could you please post some more pictures of it (without the shell...)

?

Thanx for the reply Greg I will try and take some more pics tonight after work..

Regards Mark

Hi,

after what I've seen so far, a characteristic Austrian liner with an eyelet on the side.

?

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    I feel that your liner is much more unusual than you seem to think. Could you please post some more pictures of it (without the shell...)
    Here you are Greg best images that I can manage as I can not get outside for some decent pics as it is bloody snowing again..

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Austrian (Bundesheer ) M-58   Austrian (Bundesheer ) M-58  

Thanks for the liner pics. Very interesting. That's definately Austrian, no question. My curiosity was based on the fact that liners with visible fabric striping (like on WW2-era US M1s) seem pretty unusual. I've seen a lot of the Austrian liners and these are uncommon in my esperience.

The M58/M75 series are surprisingly interesting and varied helmets and I'm a bit of a fan of them. Anyone interested should check the epic thread with good informative and enthuiastic contributions from the seemingly departed Austromunga - Austrian M75

Later edit - I have just found in my files a copy of a page on Wehrmacht Awards written by Austrian collector bernhard, who states that this liner is the first pattern, produced 1957-63. Thread still available at

Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

?

Interesting Greg thank you for the links the 1st images that the seller sent to me of this helmet pre purchase did not have the liner removed so I could not tell if the eyelet was on the front and or the side I assumed it would be a first pattern liner though as I had not seen a second pattern liner with the visible fabric on the interior before but had seen two 1st pattern example like this over the years..
    With that said I was more than a little surprised to find the eyelet on the side once it arrived I am curious now if it is a form of transitional liner from around the time that they were going to the second pattern liner and they were using up all of the available materials that they had before the change..

Regards Mark

?

Exclamation Question about this Austrian liner

Hi guys, ran across this Austrian helmet, the liner's headrest is made in a shape of a cross instead of the usual way. Did somebody, somehow fooled around with it, could it be a test or prototype of some kind The chin strap is perfectly placed to obstruct the view, hum? Impression please. Thanks.

BTW I went trough the threads of the Austrian M58 & M75, I was impressed with the dynamic going on for quite a while about those helmets. Great read

Now that is an interesting thing. First question - has part of both the liner and shell been sprayed blue? Certainly looks like it. That's a bit strange in itself!

Second question - are you absolutely certain this is an Austrian liner in an Austrian shell? Leave aside the unusual liner cradle for the moment, is it definately an Austrian liner plastic shell.

If it is an Austrian shell than I am both baffled and fascinated. I'm quite a fan of these nad have and have looked at quite a lot of them, and I have *never* seen anything like that. Now the only Austrian postwar steel I have not had hands-on with is the motorcycle variant but there doesn't seem to be a structure like that in them either.

Whatever, this is odd; I can't think of any other European or Asian M1 clone that has this sort of structure either.

?

Hi Greg, I believe the liner is Austrian, I see a grommet inside on the left side. The shell is also Austrian, I see coming out of the shadow & very hard to see the white stamping in the back of the shell it starting with a U & ending with 68. More photos:

Probably an M58 shell because of the early chinstrap.

We can see the liner's black chinstrap.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast