Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

belgium m71 parachutist helmet

Article about: Could it be that the Belgians simply wanted the best of both worlds with the W German M1A1 Para shell being superior to the French F1 Shell and the French F1 liner being more to their liking

Default Re: belgium m71 parachutist helmet

krisse many thanks for showing your issued helmets
    Last edited by James C; 11-03-2020 at 08:07 PM.

I have to say, this sure has turned out to be a great thread highlighting a couple of seemingly under appreciated helmets. Thank you all for the great input and the photos! Russ

Russ i couldn't agree more
    Last edited by James C; 11-03-2020 at 08:08 PM.

Quote by Krikke1980 View Post
    Hello sir,

as promised some pictures of my personal jumphelmet. This types we don't use anymore. They are replaced with a kevlartype.

Attachment 349230Attachment 349229Attachment 349231Attachment 349232Attachment 349233

Best regards,

K.
    Krikke, if I may, I'd like to take advantage of the fact that we have a first hand user of the M71 and ask you a question regarding the rubber band on the helmet. Of course we read all the time that these are cut pieces of rubber inner tube, from a car or truck tire, but would you happen to be able to shed a bit more light with some specifics (if any) regarding size of tube used and if there was a "standard" size cut. It seems all the M71 examples I have seen with the band look very similar making me think there was some sort of official or unoffical standard. I have one of the helmets but it is naked. I'm pretty confident that I can find the correct camp cover and would sure like to replicate the band if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Russ & Son

?

Well Russ, it's very simple. Just take a wheel from under your car and take the tube out of the tire. Then cut a piece of the tube from between 5 and 10 cm.
    The diameter from the tube must be smaller then the diameter of the edge of the helmet. Pull a camoflage cover over the helmet and then maybe a helmetnet if you want.
    If you did that, you pull the piece of tube over the cover and net untill you reached the edge of the helmet at the end. The easiest way to do this is with a helping hand of someone.

I hope you had a answer to your question.

You're welcome.

Regards,

Kris.

Kris thank you very much. I was hoping it was just that simple and that there was not some type of adopted "standard" tube and dimension that would be next to impossible to replicate. Looks like I'm planning a trip to my local tire guy to find an old used tube.....and of course need to hunt down the correct camo cover.

Thanks again,

Russ

Russ i bet you could utilise any suitable section of Belgian camo material as a makeshift cover
    Last edited by James C; 11-03-2020 at 08:10 PM.

Greg, I'm going to reserect this old thread to ask you if you were ever able to identify what type Kevlar helmet it is that Kris displayed as his current jump helmet. I don't have too much information data based on k-pots yet and to be honest, they all sorta look alike to me.

James.....a couple new treasures have arrived and a couple more on the way so I will post them all at once they've all arrived safe.

Russ

Oh, Russ, come on, *all* helmets look alike, especially to people who don't know anything about them! They're just metal (or plastic) buckets with a chinstrap.

There's pretty much as much variation between the composite/ballistic plastic types as there ever was with the steel helmets; no-one can put for example a British Mk6 next to a Spanish Marte and not notice there is a difference on a fundamental level. And what similarities there are with compos are there for the same reasons that steel helmets evolved similarities - sheer practical experience.

More to the point, I would not put money on what Kris' helmet is; its obviously a newish design as it draws very much on the MICH/ACH types made by MSA/Gallet or Rabintex but I don't know of anything that has all of its characteristics. There are a number of helmets which look superficially the same, but I can't cite anything that has that specific arrangement of slotted bolts. I'll put a bit more effort into working this out. If someone does know I'm as keen as anyone to be better informed.

For some basic compo I-spy info look here - Composite Helmets, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets International Guide

LATER ADDITION - It finally dawned upon me to use the obvious clue provided and take a good look at the label in Kris' photos - which leads me to pretty confidently say it ia Gentex product, and one which may not be general issue - see here for the Gentex TBH-II special ops helmet - GENTEX Corporation - TBH-II Special Operations
    Last edited by Greg Pickersgill; 06-29-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    LATER ADDITION - It finally dawned upon me to use the obvious clue provided and take a good look at the label in Kris' photos - which leads me to pretty confidently say it ia Gentex product, and one which may not be general issue - see here for the Gentex TBH-II special ops helmet - GENTEX Corporation - TBH-II Special Operations

WOW Greg, you've got some good eyes (or mine are just that bad)! I tried to read that lable and it just looked like black lines on white to me. I was leaning towards a MICH myself, as so many of these have been adopted by Euro armys, but as stated, my knowlage level is so low on these that I would have just been throwing that out there based on "General Looks". Guess I'll have to put the research cap on for this one too, yet another poorly documented example........gooody gooody! As always, thanks for the unput. Russ

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast