Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Brit Armoured Crew helmet.

Article about: the helmet that started this thread is not a tank helmet it is an royal armoured corp helmet steal for the use of and will never be a tank crewmans helmet

ian
    ?

Default Re: Brit Armoured Crew helmet.

the helmet that started this thread is not a tank helmet it is an royal armoured corp helmet steal for the use of
    and will never be a tank crewmans helmet

Quote by ian View Post
    the helmet that started this thread is not a tank helmet it is an royal armoured corp helmet steal for the use of
    and will never be a tank crewmans helmet
    Ian,

Something you feel strongly about but I can assure you they were on the Bty ET circa 80s-90s till we got the plastic things!
    I remember that it was a big deal to get one and I think the only authourised person was the Bty guide on his Armstrong, if it worked, again until we got the Bronze green civy motorbike helmet? Perhaps the rest were 'buckshee' proffed from 2 Tanks?
    But not exclusive to Cav/RAC?

Jock

ian
    ?

hi jock ,,, what i was trying to say was they are not crew helmets IE not worn on the tank ,they are for ground use ,dissmounted use ,,some times i dont explane as well as i should
    they were a neusance to us realy ,just something els to acount for that we rarely if ever used ,and most of the time we left them in the g1098 store for the SQMS to look after
    in the mid 70s when the larrcspur radios were still in use we just wore our berrets with a head set than clansman radios came allong and they issued the first of the tank crew helmet (bone domes ) there was much upset among us ,we did not like themm one bit (we liked our berrets ) then in the late 70s early 80s we got the roman type a much better helmet cos it had a seperate head set (back to berret and head set ) happy troopers again
    heres the two types known as helmet crew AFV , not exclusive to tank crews ,any afv crew had these ,but these are the true crew helmets first one the bone crusher no one liked second ,, the roman
    cheers ian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Brit Armoured Crew helmet.   Brit Armoured Crew helmet.  

Last edited by ian; 07-17-2010 at 08:55 AM.

ian
    ?

many people think the cavalry are an odd lot ,,we had a colonel once who used to wear his no1 dress cap with a head set and carried his sabre ,he used to stand in his turret ,waving his sabre shouting charge down the mic ,,wonderfully excentric ,but so cav ,we always tried to be different if posable , odd non reg kit stuff like that ,i used to wear a leather motorbike jacket , all of this kind of thing were the start of new traditions ,and you know what the cav is like for traditions ,,and one of the most important to armoured cav is the tanky berret
    none of that right and rear stuff for us , thats why we like headsets it gives reason for the berret to be down both sides ,, well thats our excuse anyway
    cheers again ian

Quote by ian View Post
    many people think the cavalry are an odd lot ,,we had a colonel once who used to wear his no1 dress cap with a head set and carried his sabre ,he used to stand in his turret ,waving his sabre shouting charge down the mic ,,wonderfully excentric ,but so cav ,we always tried to be different if posable , odd non reg kit stuff like that ,i used to wear a leather motorbike jacket , all of this kind of thing were the start of new traditions ,and you know what the cav is like for traditions ,,and one of the most important to armoured cav is the tanky berret
    none of that right and rear stuff for us , thats why we like headsets it gives reason for the berret to be down both sides ,, well thats our excuse anyway
    cheers again ian
    QOH was my BG for a while and they were barking mad. I remember Col Fox in his Chieftan 'Stillbrew' driving through a village near Soltau and a German local shook his fist at the tank as he clipped some kerb stones, flicking them in the air like feathers. The Col took a look at the local, a swig from his Becks (chilled in the charge bins), leaned back over the turret and gave him the bird! Anglo/German relations nul punkt! Quite classy for a Col I thought at the time? Not what I thought would happen though, still, Cav, what can you say?

Jock

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2