Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Brit HSRAC MkII (aka "Tank Crew") Helmet

Article about: I'll start with an apology - I'm sorry for starting a new thread on these....I just couldn't find an appropriate donor to bolt this one onto...I prefer to look through a book rather than loa

Default Brit HSRAC MkII (aka "Tank Crew") Helmet

I'll start with an apology - I'm sorry for starting a new thread on these....I just couldn't find an appropriate "donor" to bolt this one onto...I prefer to look through a "book" rather than loads of short "leaflets" - sorry

I can't resist dirty ol' scrimmed-up lids...and this hessian-covered one looks like its been additionally camo'd by the Avian Regiment.....or that just might be my imagination.

'nice rich brown interior, stamped "F09" ('couldn't find owt else), '59 LTD liner blah blah blah. I like the way the Back and Front are marked on the liner...one would kinda hope that just one of them would've been sufficient!

'haven't yet figured out the letters penned to the inside shell

I read somewhere here recently ('can't recall where and certainly not gonna list all the various Threads / "leaflets") that these things weren't worn by the crew in situ but were reserved for out-of-vehicle activities...though I suspect photo evidence may suggest otherwise...but they were also used by the navy and the RMs...and by folk who wanted to make money claiming they're Para....perhaps this one saw action in the Falklands....'anyone know what Pengiun **** looks like?

Brit HSRAC MkII (aka "Tank Crew") HelmetBrit HSRAC MkII (aka "Tank Crew") HelmetBrit HSRAC MkII (aka "Tank Crew") HelmetBrit HSRAC MkII (aka "Tank Crew") HelmetBrit HSRAC MkII (aka "Tank Crew") HelmetBrit HSRAC MkII (aka "Tank Crew") HelmetBrit HSRAC MkII (aka "Tank Crew") Helmet

..as for the possibility of aerially-applied camo...this stuff is down every side...but there's none on the crown so perhaps it IS paint which was deliberately applied......

'was thinking about peeling the hessian back as I suspect there's a Champagne Droop-Tail under there.. :-)

The truth about whether these tended to be worn in or out of the vehicle is actually about half-way between the two. Generally speaking it was impractical and very awkward to wear them inside a "closed down" vehicle but anything involiving the "heads up" ie heads outside the hatches in tactical environments eg commander and driver, position would involve the wearing of the "battle bowler"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

you could have put it in this one....Nice looking example

WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks Jerry....I searched "HSRAC".....'should've looked harder....now I've been hoisted by my own mustard...or whatever!

Quote by Composite View Post
    Thanks Jerry....I searched "HSRAC".....'should've looked harder....now I've been hoisted by my own mustard...or whatever!
    talking tanks, the term is petard....
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.