Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

can you identify the helmets used in DOGS of WAR 1981 movie?

Article about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcHDQ-j-2F0 skip to 3:40 - 4:20 looks like some type of eastern european helmet with a leather Y type chin strap ? doesnt look Russian, maybe Romanian? Yugo?

Default Re: can you identify the helmets used in DOGS of WAR 1981 movie?

Did you trade it for a handful of magic beans?

CBH
    ?

Default Re: can you identify the helmets used in DOGS of WAR 1981 movie?

No an SS Sturmann uniform , I might have a photo somewhere . I was a young collector back then , didn't know what I had . Live and Learn !
    Cheers

The rare East German Gerat 605 Export steel combat helmet is the closest thing that they would have used in Africa back in the early 80's

author P. Mazrzetti told that those helmets were exported to Eritrea and Guyana

the type of helmets used in the movie may have been props of this model helmet in use at that time in some war torn African country.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture can you identify the helmets used in DOGS of WAR 1981 movie?   can you identify the helmets used in DOGS of WAR 1981 movie?  

can you identify the helmets used in DOGS of WAR 1981 movie?  
    Attached Images Attached Images can you identify the helmets used in DOGS of WAR 1981 movie? 

Default Portuguese M940 / M40/63

The Angolan War of Independence (1961–1974) began as an uprising against forced cotton cultivation, and became a multi-faction struggle for the control of Portugal's Overseas Province of Angola among three nationalist movements and a separatist movement.

The Portuguese M40/63 steel helmet was also used in Africa and has a similar look to the helmets used in the Dogs of War with the short visor and conical /bell shape
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture can you identify the helmets used in DOGS of WAR 1981 movie?   can you identify the helmets used in DOGS of WAR 1981 movie?  

This Angolan soldier apears to be wearing a Portuguese M40/63 or possibly a Bulgarian M72?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture can you identify the helmets used in DOGS of WAR 1981 movie?  
    Last edited by battle gear; 04-13-2015 at 03:06 PM.

Informations about the Gerät 605

Gerat 605
    >> Neuigkeiten
    - Stahlhelmsammlung

?

That the Geraet 605 helmet was used by Eritrea seems to have come from me. The Eritrean People's Liberation Front used captured Ethiopian materiel including DDR military equipment, but it has never been confirmed how much of this was used by the Eritrean Army after independence in 1991. As the DDR had been dissolved by then, the Eritreans would have never have received arms etc. directly from them. Indeed, the DDR was a dedicated supporter of the Ethiopian Derg regime. As it happens, I have never seen a single photograph of Eritrean military personnel wearing any helmet model, although surely they must be used on occasion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2