Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The different fate of 2 euro clones

Article about: Hello dear collectors, some months ago i manage to bought both of these m1 euro clone. And i think both of these shell have an interesting story behind it. The blue one, the paint looks blot

?

Very interesting looking composite Helmet Feldgrau, I will try and find out some more information on these models,very curious looking Helmet and thanks for sharing the pictures

Quote by Opex View Post
    Very interesting looking composite Helmet Feldgrau, I will try and find out some more information on these models,very curious looking Helmet and thanks for sharing the pictures
    Your welcome and good luck sir.
    And i also found this helmet, too bad i'm not successful in getting this either.
    The different fate of 2 euro clonesThe different fate of 2 euro clonesThe different fate of 2 euro clonesThe different fate of 2 euro clones
    It's also have a TNI stamp too.

From what I can see the one you just posted is the same model as the first compo you showed (the other one you didn't get!). The Indonesians have a startling variety of locally-made composite helmets - of widely varying quality and effectiveness, so I understand - and they also have used some of the South Korean export types. I have certainly seen pictures of this helmet before, and it is a local (Indonesian) product, and apparently came into service during the 1990s. I have seen what must be earlier models with a cradle-type Riddel-type liner; this one has a more advanced liner which has some similarities to Chinese (and Itialian...and some UK commercial products!) in have the cross-wise liner cradle with a central crown pad. It also has a three point-chinstrap whereas the early models had a simpler two-piece strap.This is all a bit vague, I know, but then you know, you don;t see many of these around here. Or anywhere other than Indonesia, really.

The stamp you have is a LS stamp (German Company Linnemann Schnetzer). These stamps are smeared to begin with. The circle says LS, while the line says A-59-21 I think. Could be A-58-31 maybe.

The year of your stamp is 1958 or 1959. From 1960 the stamp line looks like this 1960-A-34, while 1957 stamps only have the year.

Quote by Twthmoses View Post
    The stamp you have is a LS stamp (German Company Linnemann Schnetzer). These stamps are smeared to begin with. The circle says LS, while the line says A-59-21 I think. Could be A-58-31 maybe.

The year of your stamp is 1958 or 1959. From 1960 the stamp line looks like this 1960-A-34, while 1957 stamps only have the year.
    That's interesting. I have not seen that LS paint stamp before - where would I be likely to see one? I only know the actual impressed LS stamp in, for example, West German helmets.

Denmark has ink stamped LS marks. I believe Norway also, but that might danish imported shells, that they sold on to Norway with the Danish produced m/58 liner. They might also have brought the shells themselves?

Here is a few examples, and these might be considered “easy” to read
    The different fate of 2 euro clonesThe different fate of 2 euro clones

I’ll find a few more readable later.

Thanks for that, Twthmoses. I had thought it might be export shells for such as Denmark, Netherlands, Norway, and so on, but although I have several of these I do not have any with LS stamps and was unable to find any on, for example, World War Helmets.

Given that the shell Freldgrau has is LS-produced, we might reasonably guess it was originally Dutch, left behind during the various conflicts with Indonesia in the 1950s and early 60s.

I don’t think it left Dutch m1 helmets, but rather that Indonesia imported these m1 clone helmets themselves. It is my understanding that LS did not start making m1 clones Shells before 1957. At least I have not seen any earlier. The earliest Dutch LS m1 shell I have seen is 1958.
    I would love to know if there is earlier LS shells. You have any information?

The Dutch acquired their first LS shell's in 1958. Marked i.e. LS58 1B pressed in the metal in the front rim.
    Before that year we used M1's and VerBlifa clones. I have never seen LS shell used by The Netherlands with the LS inkstamp. We pressed it in the metal rim, usually in the front.

The last LS clones were purchased by The Netherlands in 1983 (LS 83 7).

These LS clones probably were used by Dutch forces during the New Guinea conflict. Some may have stayed behind.

Cheers,
    Emile

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    The Dutch acquired their first LS shell's in 1958. Marked i.e. LS58 1B pressed in the metal in the front rim.
    Before that year we used M1's and VerBlifa clones. I have never seen LS shell used by The Netherlands with the LS inkstamp. We pressed it in the metal rim, usually in the front.

The last LS clones were purchased by The Netherlands in 1983 (LS 83 7).

These LS clones probably were used by Dutch forces during the New Guinea conflict. Some may have stayed behind.

Cheers,
    Emile
    Good info. I have never seen Dutch LS shells earlier than 1958 - and this sounds like there is no earlier Dutch LS shells. The earliest m1 LS shells might indeed be the 1957 Danish imported shells. Maybe Denmark are the first LS m1 shells customer? could be? The Danish LS 1957 shell is also the only one that does not have a lot number, only year.

Here is a par of 1957 LS Danish Army shells.

All Danish LS shells comes with OD#7 colored chinstraps, which has the ball-and-clevis buckle release system, and is attached to the bails with removeable metal clips, of the korean / Vietnam war style. The 1957 shells however has steels parts for everything, with green painted metal clips and blackened steel ball-and-clevis buckle release system. These green steel metal clips appear to be original US manufactured. The 1962 shells has blackened copper alloy (brass) for everything, also the metal clips by the bails.

The left shell has the original chinstraps, while the right has the 1978 introduced clip-on style

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast