MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dutch KNIL helmet postwar reissue ?

Article about: Hello, I have what I was told is a Dutch M38 helmet . I have been told that the there was never an official M38 helmet designation but the KNIL model helmet is often referred to as the M38.

?

Default Dutch KNIL helmet postwar reissue ?

Hello, I have what I was told is a Dutch M38 helmet . I have been told that the there was never an official " M38" helmet designation but the KNIL model helmet is often referred to as the M38. What I have looks like a KNIL in shape but does not have the neck flap , no sign of ever having a front badge, and the helmet has a factory black paint. I always assumed it was a postwar reissue for police or other home defense unit. Anyone know the history or official designation of this helmet ? Is it a reissue or postwar mfg. ? Thanks

Dutch KNIL  helmet postwar reissue ?

?

The liner looks like a modern replica to me rather than a post war refit.

Steve.

This is a Milsco helmet.

These helmets were produced in Milwaukee USA by Milsco for the Royal Netherlands East Indies forces. The Milsco was produced in two sizes: 1 and 2. This is a size 1. To collectors this helmet is known as the "M41 KNIL Milsco 1".

These helmets never had a frontal badge.

Milsco's were also worn by the Navy, during and after the war. After being declared obsolete they were then stripped, newly spray painted and new liners were installed. Used mostly by Civil Defense, Police and factory guards etc.

Your helmet was reissued to the Police in The Netherlands and worn until the late sixties. These helmets were not manufactured after the war. Actually only in 1941 in Milwaukee.

Cheers,
    Emile

A M38/40 (not KNIL) of mine with identical liner:

My M38 KNIL Rijkspolitie

Hello Odysseios,

Nice helmets!

The first one is now labeled as a M40C, which stands for the civilian version of the KNIL helmet M40. These M40C's were only used as civilian helmets, which included police use.

The second one is now labeled as a "M41 MILSCO 1". Refurbished, indeed, for the Rijkspolitie (post war State Police).

The updated naming/classification has been published in a very well researched and detailed study by a group of Dutch collectors who studied every available archive. The book is in Dutch only; De Nederlandse stalen helm 1916 - 1992.

Cheers,
    Emile

Hi Emile,

Thank you, i already have that book in English. I had other 2-3 M40C and i noticed these are larger than a KNIL which has 2 sizes (mine is 1). And they have the slit in the rear. I never seen a small sized M40: do they exist? Same question for the 27 and 34.

Hello Odysseios,

The KNIL had a few different helmets.

Dutch made in the Netherlands by Verblifa: M36 KNIL, M39 KNIL, M40 KNIL and the M40 KNIL GR (large model)
    US made M41 KNIL MILSCO 1 and 2 .
    NEI made M40 KNIL Type Roman 1 en Type Roman 2.
    NEI made M41 KNIL SOERABAJA 2.

The M40C is similar in size to the M40 KNIL.
    The M41 KNIL Milsco size 1 (not marked in the helmet) is identical in size to the VerBlifa M39 KNIL.

I hope I made it clear to you!? Not a straightforward story these KNIL helmets!

Cheers,
    Emile

BTW: NEI is Netherlands East Indies: present day Indonesia.

Thanks for the infos!

Do you know this stamp?

That stands for: "Rijks Eigendom" and translates in: "State Property". A common stamp in Rijkspolitie helmets.,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast