Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Early Bundeswehr M60 Stahlhelm

Article about: Another recent pick-up. There are others in this thread but this type is much less common than later types so I think it worthwhile to show another. This one is the first truly all German de

Default Early Bundeswehr M60 Stahlhelm

Another recent pick-up.

There are others in this thread but this type is much less common than later types so I think it worthwhile to show another.

This one is the first truly all German designed helmet of the Bundeswehr.

The German nomenclature of Modell 1A1 which is qualified by the word "Einteilige" (one part) rather than "Zweiteilige" (two part) relates to the shell and FJ60 is the liner which has caused confusion over time as well as the sometimes encoutered internal Bundeswehr model code 507 so perhaps the widely used collector designation of M60 is better used here?

It was apparently introduced because the German Military did not get on well with the US concept of two part combination of shell and liner.

The shell shape still resembles the iconic US M1 but is made using a stronger steel formulation.

The applied rim is replaced by a more traditionally German rolled edge. The liner resembles the earlier German styles and is permanently fixed to the shell by four bifurcated rivits or split pins. These could be "unbent" (as with earlier German designs) allowing the liner to be dismounted but this was not the intention and as far as I am aware is something that would only be done during a refurbishment. Unlike earlier German helmets the liner is based on a white hard polythene (or nylon?) band rather than metal. There were variations between mufacturer in the general appearance of the liner but the one shown here is the most usual.

The two point chinstrap uses the typical modern German spring and stud fastener with the two parts being machine stitched to a rectangular bale. The bales in turn are attached to the shell in a similar style to the British MkII / III & IV helmets which allows for easy replacement.

At the very back underside of the rim there is a deep punch mark of unclear purpose (anyone know why?) which in the case of my example appears to have been the cause of a crack in the shell.

This example has no marks or stamps of any kind on the shell or the liner that I can see.

I don't claim to be an authority on these helmets so if anyone has additions or corrections to my explanation please do post them

Regards

Mark

Early Bundeswehr M60 StahlhelmEarly Bundeswehr M60 StahlhelmEarly Bundeswehr M60 StahlhelmEarly Bundeswehr M60 StahlhelmEarly Bundeswehr M60 StahlhelmEarly Bundeswehr M60 StahlhelmEarly Bundeswehr M60 StahlhelmEarly Bundeswehr M60 Stahlhelm
    Early Bundeswehr M60 StahlhelmEarly Bundeswehr M60 Stahlhelm
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Nice one, increasingly uncommon. NB there is another variant of this, with the leather liner pierced with five aeration holes (similar to an M35 or the later version of the M1A1) but with the same shell attachment as yours. The liner is sewn closed at the seam, not open for adjustment as in the later I60 liners. Lots of these shells were later converted to take the I60 liner mount - look for the blind rivets on I60-lined shells.

Hi there,

Sometimes I really don't know where the names come from.

It is a West German "steel helmet M1A1" with "JF60 inner lining" from the company Hans Römer Neu-Ulm.
    The FJ60 is not a year designation but a factory registration of Römer and therefore the 60 is not a year designation either

This type of helmet with this inner lining was introduced as a trial from August 1958 and formally from January 15, 1959.
    The model was no longer built after 1960.
    This is why the inside of the unrevised pieces contains white ink stamps from 1958 to 1960.

The manufacturer of the helmet shells was the well-known Swedish company Eskilstuna Stalpressnings A.B.

The helmet was subsequently refurbished.

You can tell that here by the fact that he

1. Has been repainted and the ink stamps and stickers have disappeared.
    2. The chinstrap holder was replaced with the model of the M1A1 with J60 inner lining and fastened with a solid rivet.
    Originally there was a different bracket and a hollow rivet.

The replacement linings for this model were made until the 1980s. From the mid-1970s, however, the design of the inner lining was changed somewhat.

With the M1A1-JF60 and the M1A1 with J60 inner lining from the company Schubert Werke Braunschweig, which was introduced in 1961, the Bundeswehr had two helmet types in parallel.

Here an M1A1 with JF60 lining from 1959. Arsenal item, never worn with all stamps and stickers.

3 = Makercode - Eskilstuna Stalpressnings A.B.
    59 = 1959
    60 = Lot-Number

You can see the original chinstrap holder which does not make it possible to replace the chinstrap.

The bracket was fastened with a hollow rivet, which, however, often broke and should therefore be replaced on the instructions of the leadership.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Bundeswehr M60 Stahlhelm   Early Bundeswehr M60 Stahlhelm  

Early Bundeswehr M60 Stahlhelm   Early Bundeswehr M60 Stahlhelm  

Here the stamping of a helmet from 1960
    Attached Images Attached Images Early Bundeswehr M60 Stahlhelm 

Here is a helmet from the first refurbish phases. It has been repainted. Therefore the stamps have disappeared.
    Otherwise similar parts would be used.

The inner lining still had its original appearance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Bundeswehr M60 Stahlhelm   Early Bundeswehr M60 Stahlhelm  

Here is a revision from the 1970's.

The chinstrap mounts have been replaced with those of the M1A1 J60 version. You are thus interchangeable.
    The bracket was attached with solid rivets that are difficult to break.

The inner lining dates from March 1975. It was manufactured by Schubert. In contrast to the Römer model, it has holes in the tongues.

Sleepwalker, this is excellent stuff. I am definately interested in these Bundeswehr helmet but I didn't realise how little I knew until I saw these postings. Wonderful.

I have some of these early M1A1 but they're all refurbished. Never seen one with the original stamps, or the original (news to me!) chinstrap mounts.

Here is a revision from 1978

The last section in the life of a "Swedish helmet" (nickname in the Bundeswehr for this type of helmet) was the steel helmet, modified.
    As of 1981, old helmets were converted to an improved inner lining.

On the M1A1 with JF60 inner lining, the old rivet holes were closed and new rivets were attached to hold the improved inner lining.
    Due to the large number of rivets, this helmet was soon nicknamed "riveted helmet".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast