Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Early Bundeswehr M60 Stahlhelm

Article about: Another recent pick-up. There are others in this thread but this type is much less common than later types so I think it worthwhile to show another. This one is the first truly all German de

M60 helmets in action (1960-1962)

Early Bundeswehr M60 Stahlhelm Early Bundeswehr M60 Stahlhelm

Hello,

These are M1A1 helmets with IF60 interior. There was one from 1958. There was no M60 or M1960 in the Bundeswehr.
    IF60 was just a manufacturer designation. Has nothing to do with a year.

Beautiful pictures.

Right picture: Back there, early tank troops' berets are still lying on the ground. The man on the right carries an MPi UZI. It should probably act crews of an armored vehicle.

Regards

?

Hi everyone, over the years I've picked up some West German M1A1 helmets here & there. I enjoy them. My latest addition is the nicknamed "Swedish helmet" knowned as the M1A1 with JF60 interior.

The shell was produced in Sweden by Eskilstuna Stalpressnings AB from 1958 to 1960. West Germany was still under sanctions in regard for metal importation. Sweden had the metals & the competence for helmet production, win win situation. After being put trough trials the helmet was adopted in 1959. In 1960 the shell was manufactured in West Germany. The large stock of Swedish shells were overtime refurbished, modified & used alongside the German ones.

For me it's an iconic helmet marking the transition from the American inspired M56 helmet to a new West German designed helmet.

This helmet as been refurbished so the original date & production id numbers have been painted over.

The interior of the helmet was manufactured & installed in West Germany.
    This liner system "Innenausstattung-FJ 60" was manufactured by Hans Römer from Neu-Ulm. There isn't a manufacturer's stamp on this one. The head band is made of solid plastic held with 4 split pins.

Stitching of the leather cradle. Note the acceptance cold stamp on the rim.
    One of steel helmet's smallest one!

I wasn't able to take a good photo of it so I did a sketch.
    The Federal Eagle of reception was cold stamped till the mid 70s.

Close up of a cork spacer, headband arm & split pin.

Note the stitching of the cradle on the headband, the synthetic padding as vanish overtime from the headband.

It's possible to do a minor head band/cradle adjustment, 3 possibilities. Inside top left strap.

This helmet as the original chinstrap attachment, most were replaced by an open model allowing an easy chinstrap replacement.
    This opened rivet was weak, most were replaced by a stronger model.

For more info please see: West German M1A1 helmet with JF60 interior
    Last edited by Jack59; 01-07-2024 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Updated information.

Hello,

that is the difference between an M1A1 with JF60 interior (patent Hans Römer Neu-Ulm) and an M1A1 with J60 interior (patent Schuberth Works, Braunschweig).

Only the shells were supplied by Eskilstuna Stalpressnings A.B., Sweden.
    The interior fittings were produced and installed in Germany. In any case, the final month took place in West Germany.

In fact, Eskilstuna Stalpressnings A.B. Shells were delivered until 1963. This also completed M1A1s with J60 interiors. But you only realize this when you remove the interior.

?

[QUOTE] that is the difference between an M1A1 with JF60 interior (patent Hans Römer Neu-Ulm) and an M1A1 with J60 interior (patent Schuberth Works, Braunschweig)./QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification Sleepwalker, since your excellent latest post about the M1A1 steel helmet with JF60 interior I've updated mine & simplified it by removing what was not really necessary. Jack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2