Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Early Bundeswehr Zweiteilige (two part) Stahlhem

Article about: Look what I found! After an age of searching and finding only items that had sold long before I got there I located a nice example for sale and made by FW Quist. Sadly I was once more outbid

"Furthermore, this is a Dutch liner! Not a Danish liner. Never seen anything other than US ww2, Diaward and Danish liners in Army, Home guard and Civil defense service. Where does a Dutch liner suddenly come from?"

The liner does not look like a Dutch liner. This type of liner I have seen in Chinese M1 copies that are sold on the internet. Dutch plastic liners did not have leather straps and had two female press studs on the cradle in front, to take the sweatband.

Interesting topic, twthmoses!

Cheers,
    Emile

That's true. Belgian liners of the last generation have these snap fasteners on the front to fasten the sweatband.

I think you mean Dutch liners. I have never seen a Belgian M51 liner with the press studs/snap fasteners.

Thanks for looking into it.

Cheers,
    Emile

confusion. Of course you are right.
    Dutch liners have snap fasteners on the front.

Whereby I firmly assume that the parts were put together for sale regardless of their origin.

I guess so.

Hi, mates,
    wanna show you a Bundeswehr liner, manufctured in 1958 by Presswerke Schwaben, Polching (P.S.P.58).

Cheers,
    R.
    Early Bundeswehr Zweiteilige (two part) StahlhemEarly Bundeswehr Zweiteilige (two part) StahlhemEarly Bundeswehr Zweiteilige (two part) StahlhemEarly Bundeswehr Zweiteilige (two part) StahlhemEarly Bundeswehr Zweiteilige (two part) StahlhemEarly Bundeswehr Zweiteilige (two part) StahlhemEarly Bundeswehr Zweiteilige (two part) Stahlhem

I know that the Quist Zweiteilige Helm shells are slightly smaller than the regular US M-1. Is it known if the Linneman & Schnetzer shells are the same (again slightly smaller than a regular US M-1)? Did they manufacture different shells for the Zweiteilige Helm and export shells?

Hello,

If I have time, I'll present the West German "steel helmet, two-part" in detail.

The steel helmet, two-piece was not an exact copy of the US M1 helmet.

Tests had shown that the US M1 had some disadvantages. For this reason, an improved model was introduced in Belgium as early as 1951.
    Here the forehead area above the eyes was slightly changed and the head area was flattened a bit. German companies were involved in the production.

The Bundeswehr introduced this improved Belgian model in 1956 as a "steel helmet, two-part".
    The Bundeswehr was still very dissatisfied with this concept and retired the helmet from 1959.

German companies produced this model for export until the 1990s.

Regards

Hi @sleepwalker. Thanks for sharing that info. I'm fascinated by M1 euroclones and this is one of the most interesting. I did not know that it was based on the work done to produce the early Belgian m51 (one of my favourites). Great stuff!

To return to my original question then - are early Linnemann Schnetzer shells the same size as the Quist shells? The reason I ask is that I am sure I have seen later Linnemann shells that are the same size as the shells used for Danish m48 or Norwegian m58.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast