Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

East German M56 Helmet İdentification !!!

Article about: Hello Everyone, I buy this East German Helmet. I found "II" and "2" numbers. (you can see at picture). What is this mean? Is this manufacture date?? and it has red label

I did search m56 photosi ı see 3-4 before 1970 but its has plastic liner. Why?

Quote by Turhan98 View Post
    I did search m56 photosi ı see 3-4 before 1970 but its has plastic liner. Why?
    Because your helmet it is not an M56. It is a later model called the M56/74 which does have a plastic liner

M56/66 also used the plastic liner and used the early M56 shell with fixing nipples added to the inside. It also had rivits on the outside which were cut off on the inside because they were for the early liner.

M56/76 used new shells with no rivits.

Your helmet is M56/76

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-09-2021 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

This is %100 East German right?
    m56/74 mean is 1974?

This is %100 East German right?
    m56/74 mean is 1974?
    Yes, M56/76 is the 1976 variation of M56 and is the helmet that was in use in DDR from 1976 - 1990.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-09-2021 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Wow. I am understand now This is "U" character. U code mean is= 1978
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture East German M56 Helmet İdentification !!!  

Hi there,

again to the models and their names:

The first steel helmet model was called "Stahlhelm Modell 56". It had an inner lining similar to the M31 lining of the Reichswehr / Wehrmacht, which was connected to the bell with 3 rivets.

The conversion of the first M56 model to the second with the "plastic"-Liner took place in 1966. These modified / retrofitted helmets are ONLY called in the collector's designation 56/66.
    1966 was the last year in which the first model was made.
    In the course of 1966 the second model was produced, in which there were 6 pins to hold the inner lining.

In this model, 6 pins were welded on the inside for the new inner lining. The old rivet holes were closed with rivets.
    Older helmets were converted in a factory overhaul.
    The very first newly produced and repaired ones still have 6 riveted pins. You can find these first new and overhauled M56s with these 6 rivets, which indicates that both happened at the same time for a short duration.
    But this is only a rare exception. Usually the pins were welded on.

In the 1970s, the designation "Device 604" was introduced in the production facilities for the M56 steel helmets.

From 1978 a new model is issued. These helmets were officially called "Stahlhelm Modell 56/76" (not 1974).
    The change was in the production process of the helmets, so that the same steel thickness was given above. The external shape changed slightly.

Wow. I am understand now This is "U" character. U code mean is= 1978
    No it is not.

It is the Roman numeral II. It means size 2.

02 means February.

The year stamp is missing. This sometimes happened.

See this one;East German M56 Helmet İdentification !!!

II

Which means; Size 2, March 1960

Consequently, can we say that my helmet was produced in the 1970s? Is it certain?

NVA Helmet (M56) | TrabantForums.com

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Hi there,

again to the models and their names:

The first steel helmet model was called "Stahlhelm Modell 56". It had an inner lining similar to the M31 lining of the Reichswehr / Wehrmacht, which was connected to the bell with 3 rivets.

The conversion of the first M56 model to the second with the "plastic"-Liner took place in 1966. These modified / retrofitted helmets are ONLY called in the collector's designation 56/66.
    1966 was the last year in which the first model was made.
    In the course of 1966 the second model was produced, in which there were 6 pins to hold the inner lining.

In this model, 6 pins were welded on the inside for the new inner lining. The old rivet holes were closed with rivets.
    Older helmets were converted in a factory overhaul.
    The very first newly produced and repaired ones still have 6 riveted pins. You can find these first new and overhauled M56s with these 6 rivets, which indicates that both happened at the same time for a short duration.
    But this is only a rare exception. Usually the pins were welded on.

In the 1970s, the designation "Device 604" was introduced in the production facilities for the M56 steel helmets.

From 1978 a new model is issued. These helmets were officially called "Stahlhelm Modell 56/76" (not 1974).
    The change was in the production process of the helmets, so that the same steel thickness was given above. The external shape changed slightly.
    Thanks for the correction, of course it is M56/76, I should have checked my typing more thoroughly!!

I agree that the designation M56/66 is only a collectors reference but one has to make a distinction because these are different to both the M56 and the M56/76. I have seen the term "Transitional" used too so maybe that is a better description because it is a hybrid between the M56 and M56/76.

As for the very first M56 which had the liner similar to the wartime prototype (Model 44?) and used war time dated large head split pins and war time manufactured chin straps there doesn't seem to be a designation but I have seen "M56 I" used. That probably doesn't matter much as most of us will never see one except in books.

As far as I can tell the difference in the shape of the shell or Glocke seems limited to the profile of the crown in that the older type is slightly more flat and does not rock as easily when placed upside down on a hard surface.

They are an interesting piece of historical hardware and difficult to resist buying!! I am not really a helmet collector and I only wanted one but now I have ten because they are all different right?

Regards

Mark

Your helmet is guaranteed to be post 1976 as the inside is from plastic and the outside has no rivets and is completely smooth.
    this helmet in this variation (M56/76) only came into service in 1976.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast