Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

East German NVA M56 helmets

Article about: Hi guys here I have a first pattern M56 East German helmet. The M56 was produced by Eisen und Hütte AG and the liners by VEB Sattler und Taucha Lederwarenfabrik. The design was originally a

I'm not sure putting a helmet inside a plastic bag is a good idea, unless you can be sure it isn't going to get damp.

Any type of foam is liable to decay over time. I've noticed this with foam inserts for equipment cases as well as DDR stahlhelme, but moisture certainly doesn't help.

- - ------- - -

I'm not sure putting a helmet inside a plastic bag is a good idea, unless you can be sure it isn't going to get damp.

Any type of foam is liable to decay over time. I've noticed this with foam inserts for equipment cases as well as DDR stahlhelme, but moisture certainly doesn't help.

- - ------- - -

Came across these and couldn't figure where to post them. Hope they are of interest.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post

- - ------- - -

- - ------- - -

Just saw this

Storing anything made of steel in a plastic bag let alone foam and leather is a terrible idea! Don't do it

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Came across these and couldn't figure where to post them. Hope they are of interest.
    Great "happy snaps" of parade dress with what looks like the Plasthelm.

The breast badge worn by two of them is I think the Leistungsabzeichen but is distorted by the period quality photography.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

In the last picture the soldier is wearing two abzeichen, the one to the right looks like a sportabzeichen.

Cheers,
    Steve

Here's an oddball to add to the discussion. Picked this up last week for $60 Buy it Now on Ebay. What immediately caught my eye on the auction listing was the liner- 9 leather tongues instead of 8 like every other early M56 I've seen, as well as the perforations at the front of the head band, never seen either of these features on an M56 before. The liner also appears to have been sewn to the band instead of riveted like others I've seen. Helmet is a II-2-59 stamp, with the early "narrow/thin" chinstrap variant, without cheek protectors. "B 8" painted inside. Figured it was worth the $60 I paid just for the unusual features.

East German NVA M56 helmetsEast German NVA M56 helmetsEast German NVA M56 helmetsEast German NVA M56 helmetsEast German NVA M56 helmets

Looks like its been cobbled together with a West German liner.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Looks like its been cobbled together with a West German liner.
    That's what I thought too - same number of lobes, same general appearance. I did try to count the number of holes in the brow but gave up when my left eye kept going out of focus.

I was thinking West German myself on the liner, just wanted to see some other opinions, or if anyone else had a similar M56. So I would agree someone, somewhere added that. No markings or ink stamps on the liner by the way, and it is just about ready to fall apart, very fragile.

Hello,

clearly a craft work. Not original.

Somebody built a leather from a West German police or a fire helmet into it.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast