MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

ET66 M40 Norwegian Refurb

Article about: I have been wanting a postwar Norwegian M35, 40, or 42 for a couple of years now, but every time one came up, they were either out of my price range, sold too quickly, or in poor condition.

Default ET66 M40 Norwegian Refurb

I have been wanting a postwar Norwegian M35, 40, or 42 for a couple of years now, but every time one came up, they were either out of my price range, sold too quickly, or in poor condition. But recently one popped up on eBay and I knew I could not let it slip through my fingers like so many previously have.

It is an ET66 M40 with a lot number of what appears to be 209. It features post war made Norwegian leather and chinstrap. I am not versed in M31 liner bands, but I do believe it to be an original German one as the Norwegian frequently used them. It is marked 66nA over 58 which is my exact size (hell yeah). I am unable to see the side that would have the date of the liner so your guesses are welcomed.

On the Norwegian leather itself is a name along with what I guess is a service number. The number may be 24422 or 24472, not exactly sure.

ET66 M40 Norwegian RefurbET66 M40 Norwegian Refurb

The leather of the liner is very soft and in good condition, but the chinstrap is slightly dry. Would it be best to unloop the strap to return it to a relaxed state or should I leave it across the visor?

My only little gripe I have is that the brass pins are loose, but to be fair, many Norwegian helmets seemed to have this problem from what I have seen. All in all, I am very happy with my score. Now please excuse me while I sit and stair at the helmet for the next 3 hours. This one ain't gonna fall into the hands of the helmet strippers, not on my watch.

MAP
    ?

Very nice example. Definitely remove the strap from the brim. OK to put on for photos, but not for any length of time.

Congrats!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I wouldn't kick her out of the bed if she farted!

Ok, thanks for the advice. I just returned the chinstrap to a more relax positioned. I wonder how long the strap is been like this because there is a pretty noticeable streak from it across the visor. No, it's not a blemish, it's called character!

A great example! I have a lot of love for these post-WWII Norwegian helmets. I am hoping to find an M35 Air Force example eventually.

The liner has been out and put back in backwards at some point.

What makes you believe it is backwards? Just curious.

When looking into the helmet, the size stamp is on the right side while the makers mark/year (albeit blocked) is on the left. The leather is also situated like so in this thread: norwegian helmet