Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

french M26 helmet with painted ancre (colonial ?)

Article about: hello, collective wisdom... I bought this helmet with the knowledge that the ancre-insigne designed for the French M26 (for marine and colonial troups) came later than the helmet itself. The

Default french M26 helmet with painted ancre (colonial ?)

hello, collective wisdom...
    I bought this helmet with the knowledge that the ancre-insigne designed for the French M26 (for marine and colonial troups) came later than the helmet itself. The M15 had an insigne with shows a combination of an ancre and bomb for the colonial troups. So I was not surprised that I saw a helmet on a military exposition in Belgium this weekend with a painted ancre (and stripes for luitenant). But never sure if this is painted postwar or not. Someone seen a helmet like this ? Thanks in advance !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture french M26 helmet with painted ancre (colonial ?)   french M26 helmet with painted ancre (colonial ?)  

french M26 helmet with painted ancre (colonial ?)   french M26 helmet with painted ancre (colonial ?)  

french M26 helmet with painted ancre (colonial ?)  

The helmet is hand painted vs stencil. What were they using during that period? I do not know. The paint looks very fresh but may not mean anything.
    John

Two others I found on the internet. More difficult to find other insignes handpainted on the adrian helmets. But even that doesn't proof anything.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture french M26 helmet with painted ancre (colonial ?)   french M26 helmet with painted ancre (colonial ?)  

MAP
    ?

Agree with John.

Based on these photos, the yellow paint does not match the rest of the helmet from an aging and patina perspective.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I did have the same impression....

Hello,
    the helmet seems to have a "chocolate" color, color applied at the factory on the first copies. It would be interesting to see the markings that are present under the cap to be certain that it is an original painting.
    The insignia is that of the colonial infantry, of which different metallic roundels exist. The navy using more helmets repainted in blue.
    At this stage it is impossible to date the paintwork of the anchor but as John says it looks fresh compared to the rest of the helmet. That doesn't mean it's a fake...

Thanks for the reply. Tried to bend the legs of the frontal rivet of the cap very carefully to remove the cap and broke off. So I will live with the uncertainty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture french M26 helmet with painted ancre (colonial ?)