Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

French M78/F1 steel helmet

Article about: Hello everyone, I've had an account on here for a while, but this is my first time posting on the forum. I recently started to collect helmets from other countries besides the US and wanted

In Theory Bruno i agree with you on the different coverings and ways in which it was fixed ,Car Tyre Inner tubing on earlier models and Car door trim as used for the certain time periods briefly there after before the purposely manufactured combined camo coverings with intergrated rubber rim introduced around 20 years ago or more ,Having said that i have a series one Model M78 ,the type with fixed bails not unlike the TAP 56 and have accompanying provenance to go with it which was most definitely used in Operation Daguet (1991) which we know by then the series 2 F1 was well in use by what would of been at that time an Army using the most up to date issued equipment French M78/F1 steel helmet
    Regards James

Hello James

Both F1 series were used during daguet as some photos can show but only the first tipe of cover was used. Like the one you show.
    To be noted alos that when troups arrived initialy, the wore the standard green uniform (and helmets with salad) as the 'daguet' camo suit wasn't yet produced.

It was a very specific time when french army just got back to camo after forbiding it after 1962.
    Bruno

Ps: very nice helmets by the way

Default United Nations Soldiers, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina June 1992

here is a photo of the same helmet with light blue UN color paint
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French M78/F1 steel helmet   French M78/F1 steel helmet  

Very nice pictures. This is it!
    On the first picture the French badges that were provided by the US during WW2 and never used.

Bruno

Syd
    ?

Were these regular French troops or FFL?

Hello;

FFL (Free french - Forces Francaise Libre) were regular troops that participated to the liberation. Those trained in England were mostly equiped with English uniforms while those formed in North Africa to participate to the Italian campaign and Provence landing were mostly equiped with US uniforms.

By opposition to the FFI (Forces Francaises de l'interieur) that were acting in France under German occupation.

Bruno

Hello

I discovered this thread on F1 helmets in the composite helmet section

More French F1 Helmets.

Some very nice examples

Bruno

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2