Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet from garage sale

Article about: I know this is not an allied helmet, but can anyone tell me if its real and what it might be. Thanks

Default Helmet from garage sale

I know this is not an allied helmet, but can anyone tell me if its real and what it might be. Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet from garage sale   Helmet from garage sale  

Default Re: Helmet from garage sale

Looks like it's trying to be a Japanese helmet... but the insides are all wrong. Perhaps a repro, or a helmet belonging to another nation that someone doctored up to look Japanese.

This is an ex Japanese helmet (type 30) that was reissued, post war, to the Thai army. The star probably is a fake.

Have a look at this site: siam lotus

Cheers,
    Emile

I wonder, Emile, whether the star really is a fake. I have one of these, Thai reissue liner as this one but incredibly marked "Made in Japan" and with the star, but the star looks like its been there forever, not affixed in any recent time. Is there any possibility that the Thais - or someone else - actually used relined Japanese Type 30s without bothering to chip off the star? I dunno

On the other hand, it could be a fake.....the world may never know.

Just remembered I have mine on the web at this rather elderly (2004, and unrevised!) sub-page Picture_40

Greg P

Hi Greg,

It seems there is a faint outline of the chankra on this lid. The star is of a different colour it seems. I would go for a fake or at least post war re application of a star.

Cheers,
    Emile

wonder if it could be early VIET MINH?

Helmet from garage sale

The Vietminh would not go as far as to produce the french type liner brackets, in the chaotic period of post war Viet Nam. Too costly and unnessary. Helmets were hardly issued.

Cheers,
    Emile

I also think it's a Siamese, you can see the outline of where the insignia would have been in the paint