Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Informational question related with West German Post-war Stahlhelm

Article about: Hello members Recently I've been rechecking my West German post-war M35/53 helmet and related notes being collected. I found a piece of information that points the West Germany being unable

Default Informational question related with West German Post-war Stahlhelm

Hello members
    Recently I've been rechecking my West German post-war M35/53 helmet and related notes being collected. I found a piece of information that points the West Germany being unable to produce any new M35/40 style steel helmets at first, due to the destruction of related factories and loss of equipment facilities by the Allied forces' bombardment during WWII and the post-war denazification.

It sounds reasonable but I'm looking at its validity(usually I take citations when I'm taking notes, such as which part came from where, e.g. Someone's opinion, or books, like Dr. Baer's book, page number, etc).

Does anyone have an idea of the source of such information?

Regard.
    Gefilde

Hello,

No, that's not entirely true.
    The Quist company, for example, was not destroyed and was able to continue producing on original machines.
    It probably had more to do with the type of steel. At first, Germany was not allowed to produce every type of steel.

There were also large quantities of pre-produced helmets. In addition to the fire department, the early BGS was also equipped with this. In addition, there were still large quantities of helmets lying around in dumps that could be used.

It had nothing to do with denazification. In the western sectors it was only operated on a semi-regular basis anyway.

The German helmet shape was also intended for the planned European EVG (unfortunately the EVG had to be abandoned in 1954 due to France's veto. The countries joined NATO and then adopted the US M1)

Regards

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Hello,
    The German helmet shape was also intended for the planned European EVG (unfortunately the EVG had to be abandoned in 1954 due to France's veto. The countries joined NATO and then adopted the US M1)
    Please expand on this, or provide some references. For me if no-one else! What is the 'EVG' in this context - never heard of it. Which countries were involved?

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    Please expand on this, or provide some references. For me if no-one else! What is the 'EVG' in this context - never heard of it. Which countries were involved?
    It's the European Defence Community (EDC). In German that translates to Europäische Verteidigungsgemeinschaft (EVG). The Bundeswehr mentions it on their web page https://www.bundeswehr.de/en/about-b...the-bundeswehr

Edit: There is also a page about it on Wikipedia: Treaty establishing the European Defence Community - Wikipedia

Honestly .. I had never heard of it either.

/Jesper

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post

Hello,

Europaische Verteidigungsgemeinschaft – Wikipedia

France, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg and the Federal Republic of Germany

Regards