Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Italian helmets for review

Article about: I have these 3 helmets and I would appreciate any thoughts or information helping to identify them. cheers J

Default Italian helmets for review

I have these 3 helmets and I would appreciate any thoughts or information helping to identify them.
    cheers J

?

The 1st one looks Danish to me (Pic's 1-5)?? And the 2nd & 3rd are Italian M33's. The 2nd (6&7 maybe 8)look like it might have been used in the Spanish civil war but missing the eagle attachment . I'll leave that last one to the experts here.( Roberto ) He is Da Man in my book!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Hi rundymc,
    these are three Italian M33 helmets of late 30s.

The helmet in photo 1-5, is the notorious variant with no air vents and with a special liner, made up of three bearings directly attached to the shell, similar to that of the Swedish or German helmets of the WW1 period.
    It was a variant with lower ballistic capacities, made with low quality steel, they was an alternative to the "four holes" model that had the same ballistic characteristics.
    These helmets were provided to Civil Protection Units or to second-line troops (anti-aircraft, animal transport, coastal artillery.. etc.).
    This example was produced at the end of the 30's (see the original light gray/green color) and dark green repainted in 1940 (as foreseen by the regulation), a clue telling us that in this case it was used by Military Units and not of Civil Protection.
    I confirm that the other two examples are M33 used during the Spanish War and repainted in the kakhi-brown color used by the Spanish Army.
    At the first example was added to the front hook to apply the Spanish Army badge.
    Both examples are the first production, with the first type of air vents and an early liner with parallel rear seams and no aluminum eyelets; probably the shell is "P" marked on the back flap.
    Three good helmets in my opinion.

Regards
    Roberto

Thanks for the detailed information Roberto I also have one more helmet that you may like. I believe it to be Spanish?Italian helmets for review

Quote by rundymc View Post
    Thanks for the detailed information Roberto I also have one more helmet that you may like. I believe it to be Spanish?Italian helmets for review
    Yes, it's a Spanish M26 helmet, I'm not very experienced of this model, but I think it was refurbished in the post-war period, the original production examples were painted in light gray and had a slightly different liner.

Regards
    Roberto

The chinstrap on the Spanish M26 is non standard!...

Actually what Gunny says is true, I think a postwar refurbished should have a chinstrap like this, but as I said, I'm not very experienced with this model.

Regards

Not a Spanish helmet, but Portuguese M40.

Look at this site. .: World War Helmets - Casque Modèle 940 :.

Cheers,
    Emile

On second thought, it seems to be a Spanisch M21 "sin Ala". .: World War Helmets - Casque Modèle 21 :.

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    Not a Spanish helmet, but Portuguese M40.

Look at this site. .: World War Helmets - Casque Modèle 940 :.

Cheers,
    Emile

On second thought, it seems to be a Spanisch M21 "sin Ala". .: World War Helmets - Casque Modèle 21 :.
    Yes it's a Spanish lid as the liner is held in by rivets, the 940 has the liner held in by welded tabs!....

Hi Emile,
    and thanks to your good input, in fact the chinstrap seems to match with the Portuguese helmet.
    The elements that made me consider the Spanish hypothesis, even looking to your link,
    .: World War Helmets - Casque Modèle 26 :.
    were the following:
    -The shape of the air vents applied, particularly rounded.
    -The length of the back flap (but the photo may be unclear)
    -The liner supported by rivets crossing the shell, typical of the M26 Spanish and I've never seen on the Portuguese M40, but it may be a variant, that I do not know.
    But I agree that it can be a M21.

Regards
    Roberto
    Last edited by OldSteel; 07-09-2017 at 03:12 PM. Reason: correct word

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast