Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Italian M33 Helmet "T" Maker Stamp?

Article about: Hello Folks - Have this '33, it is stamped on the rear lip with T 152 . I cannot seem to find any info regarding this stamp/maker. Any thoughts appreciated! Attached are two photos of the he

Default Italian M33 Helmet "T" Maker Stamp?

Hello Folks -

Have this '33, it is stamped on the rear lip with "T 152". I cannot seem to find any info regarding this stamp/maker. Any thoughts appreciated!

Attached are two photos of the helmet. It has the rear seam liner w/2 parallel stitches.

Thanks for looking!

- Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Italian M33 Helmet "T" Maker Stamp?   Italian M33 Helmet "T" Maker Stamp?  

Information on stamps in these seems scant. See here (quite old webpage but may still be accurate) elmetto.net - articles - pre or post war?

There are a couple of books covering the M33 - one is here onlein -https://www.difesa.it/Area_Storica_HTML/editoria/2015/100elmetto/Pagine/index.aspx - I've just flicked through it and found nothing useful - though my poor Italian may be to blame more than the author. The other book - that I know of - is M33 - ANALISI DI UN ELMO by Diego Bosi, which I have not seen.

See also here - WWH is usually reliable - World War Helmets - Casque Modele 933 - open in Chrome with autotranslate if your French is as poor as mine.

Thanks Greg! Great resources. So far I've ferreted out to maker codes, the P and B. But most of the comments indicate that there has been very little studyof these helmets and very little known of the helmet maker's codes. - Mike

MAP
    ?

I too have only heard of two known makers (P and B).
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MikeS0000 View Post
    Hello Folks -

Have this '33, it is stamped on the rear lip with "T 152". I cannot seem to find any info regarding this stamp/maker. Any thoughts appreciated!

Attached are two photos of the helmet. It has the rear seam liner w/2 parallel stitches.

Thanks for looking!

- Mike
    Hi Mike,
    Italian M33 helmets have been studied quite a lot (possibly over-studied in some cases), but the shell makers' stamps are mostly still elusive as no documentation has been found about them, even in the most recent publications. Some stamps, for example, such as MM or RM also seem to appear only on Royal Navy - or post-war Republican Navy (Regia Marina - Marina Militare) only, and although this seems for now empirically proven by observation, it does not establish who the manufacturer is...

Back to your helmet, it really looks like it is a 1930's production, due to the air vents shape. It also seems that the original paint, visible inside the dome, is a light shade of grey-green (grigioverde).

You may also find dry stamps on the chinstrap and the leather liner (these would normally be in a roundel) or even ink stamps on the reverse.

This helmet has obviously seen a lot of use and has been repainted (common practice) with a darker shade of colour, however the Mountain Artillery emblem at the front has been added last, as you can clearly see it's been painted over chips and missing bits of paint. I don't think there's any way to establish for sure if this is original/compatible with the lifespan of this helmet or if this has been added at a later stage by a collector or seller.

Overall a nice example of M33

Hope this helps
    Michele