Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Italian M33 - Wartime repaint??

Article about: Hello All, I am posting an Italian M33 I picked up about 15 years ago. It's been repainted at some point and I would like to try and determine if it is wartime. The shell still has areas whe

MAP
    ?

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    I always find these difficult to identify but I think it has a chance of being war time, the lack of Z I think is a good thing but I thought there should be two lines of stitching if there was no Z.
    Quote by OldSteel View Post
    Excellent observation Steve, in fact the lack of stitching above the junction of the leather ("Z" or "two parallel lines") is an uncommon and interesting thing.
    Glad you both brought this up. I mentioned this same thing over on another site. I've never seen an example without the Z or two parallel lines. So it's uncommon but OK for a war time helmet?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Glad you both brought this up. I mentioned this same thing over on another site. I've never seen an example without the Z or two parallel lines. So it's uncommon but OK for a war time helmet?
    Hi Micheal,
    actually the reinforcement stitching should be in all M33s, both war time and post-war, so I can't say why they miss this helmet.
    In a prevalent way it is said that the stitching parallel lines of both the war and the Z one is post-war; but I own M33 of the WW2 period both with parallel lines and with Z, and with reinforced metal eyelets but also not.
    In the same way I have post-war helmets with regular Z stitching, but also with parallel lines because they reused WW2 period leathers.
    In this case the majority of the elements make me identify this helmet as WW2 period.
    On the large quantities produced of this helmet, something could have escaped during production, or the leather could have been replaced later by the Spaniards using spare parts in stock, difficult to say.

Regards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2