Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Italian Para M42/60

Article about: Morning everyone, here are some examples of Italian paratrooper helmet M42/60, are all examples used in years 70 and 80 and have passed various reconditioning, I add also the details of a ne

Quote by James C View Post
    unsure where i found this picture off the web but this was the look i was trying to emulate for display purposes Attachment 1422886
    He must be an "intuitive shot" look at his eye lashes, both eyes are closed

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    He must be an "intuitive shot" look at his eye lashes, both eyes are closed

Regards

Mark
    As often happened, these close-up photos were taken not during actual activity, in order to keep them as a souvenir of military service.
    The net under the cover !!
    Another confirmation of the imagination and autonomy enjoyed by these special units.
    Note the other distinctive element of the Paratrooper Troops was the jump uniform, designed specifically for them.
    It recalled in color and in some details those of WW2.

Regards
    Roberto

Italian Para M42/60

Quote by OldSteel View Post
    Thanks to you Mark for appreciating this explanation, certainly they are strange facts that I hope were limited to the last periods of the life of this helmet, probably relegated to the sole training activity and in any case the result of local and unauthorized initiative by the individual units.
    It is however difficult to say more because what is known comes from the experiences of the protagonists or collectors.
    The official documentation is really scarce, there are no manuals or labels inside them, even today it is not possible to say for sure who produced the M33 or M42 / 60 helmets.
    Having lived through the cold war years as a son and brother of military personnel, I believe that this behavior was the result of a rigid interpretation of military secrecy even towards the simplest military equipment.
    Probably the fact that Italy was one of NATO's border countries, but with the most important Communist party in Western Europe within it, could have contributed to developing this type of attitude.
    I still remember well the attention with which we looked at the Yugoslav border.
    As a further example, confirming the "free" management of the revisions, below is an M33 used by the Air Force during the 1950s, where out-of-rule aluminum rivets were used, obviously this helmet was used by armed surveillance and not in actions of combat.

Regards
    Roberto
    sorry the attachment with the M33 was missing

Italian Para M42/60Italian Para M42/60Italian Para M42/60

Quote by OldSteel View Post
    As often happened, these close-up photos were taken not during actual activity, in order to keep them as a souvenir of military service.Regards Roberto
    Yep, been there, done that. I was being facetious!

If he was actually firing the photographer would be forward of the firing point and therefore in a very dangerous poistion. No Firing Point Officer would ever permit that!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Very nice M33 Roberto so from the 1950's would you know if any pre WW2 parts were used in it's construction like the swivel bails or perhaps the shell ,i did read somewhere that the leather type chinstrap was used well into the late 1980's alongside the canvas type ,Here is my humble Italian helmet collection Italian Para M42/60 The bring back Sleeveless Shirt in the Italian Mimetico Roma 90 Camouflage pattern has a Palestinian patch so Possibly used by Volunteers /Mercenaries perhaps but can only speculate , although the label is washed out can see a manufacture date of 1994,not to confuse the sleeveless shirt was placed over an existing display in case you wonder why you see french lizard pattern Italian Para M42/60Italian Para M42/60
    Regards James

Smile

Thanks James,
    I confirm that in my Air Force M33, the steel shell and the metal structure of the liner are from the WW2 period (see photo with the AT = Arsenale of Torino stamp on the chinstrap lug).
    Italian Para M42/60
    The components of the 30s and 40s were used after the war until stocks were exhausted, and coexisted with the newly produced components.
    As for the chinstraps, after running out of stock of the leather version of the war period, the Army switched to the canvas version, while some Corps: Air Force, Navy and Police, continued to use newly produced leather chin straps until the end of the 80s; but the color of the post-war productions is clearly identifiable because it is different from the gray-green of the Regio Esercito.
    As for your collection, in my opinion you still have some interesting pieces:
    -M42 / 60: which has been produced in a limited number and is becoming difficult to find in good condition.
    -M33 gray of the Serbian Police, a variant with a special liner produced by the company "Cassoni".
    -M33 Spanish: very interesting example of the first version produced before 1936 (see the particular rounded two-tab rivets).
    For the Italian camouflage shirt with the Palestinian patch it is difficult to say, keep in mind the fact that for a long time the Italian armed forces have carried out cyclical training missions for the Palestinian security forces and have been engaged in peacekeeping missions on behalf of the UN in Palestine until recent years, this fact could justify the presence of Italian material in that area.

See you soon
    Roberto

Picked up a more suitable cover ( cut down jacket hood) for my example ,not quite the rare Airborne cover with incorporated fold down veil but for now will do Italian Para M42/60Italian Para M42/60
    Regards James

Hi James,
    I would say that it's okay anyway, to be precise, the hood you used is that of the camouflage uniform covering m1958, used until 1975, which was worn over the Italian battle dress.
    It was used by all Army units except airborne combat units that had their own unique jumping uniform, in addition to the helmet and special boots.

Regards
    Roberto

As a gap filler i am happy for now but will keep my eyes peeled for the rare an elusive Airborne cover Roberto
    Regards James

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2