Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 with LWH sweat band

Article about: Hello there, I recently got lucky while snooping around my local surplus store and managed to find a WW2 shell in its original configuration for a reasonable price as it was mixed in with a

Default M1 with LWH sweat band

Hello there,

I recently got lucky while snooping around my local surplus store and managed to find a WW2 shell in its original configuration for a reasonable price as it was mixed in with a group of post Vietnam M1's. However upon getting it home and doing some snooping I discovered that the liner was not American as I had initially assumed, but was in fact and Israeli produced clone and most interestingly had had it's original sweatband replaced with one from the early lightweight helmet liner (before they switched to the pad system).

this lead to my question of how likely is it that this was a field modification or repair by a reserve unit, police force etc. Israeli or otherwise, or is this just a reenactor or somebody replacing it?
    The LWH sweat band does appear to have been there for a while based on the way the way the outer band is creased, though that by no means indicates that it was replaced during the helmet's service life.

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated,
    Apache8

PS. If it is any help to determining if the helmet got sold to another country, the woodland cover that came with the helmet is dated 1984 and appears to have been on the helmet for a while as it has formed to the shape of the helmet and been stained by some of the rusty spots.

M1 with LWH sweat band
    M1 with LWH sweat band
    M1 with LWH sweat band
    M1 with LWH sweat band
    M1 with LWH sweat band
    M1 with LWH sweat band
    M1 with LWH sweat band

?

Interesting combination.

In my opinion its been put together, the headband in the liner I don't see being done in Israel (just my option), I've not seen these headbands on an Israeli helmet, Israel fitted their own liners in US PASGT shells and this type of liner went out of use in the 1980s so it doesn't add up.

Probably been paired wit the shell and cover at a later date.

Steve.