Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1917-style with a VENT?! What is this?

Article about: I have a M1917-style (for lack of wanting to call it an M1917) helmet with an odd feature I have never seen before. The helmet is unfinished steel, the top has been dented in and has an exce

Default M1917-style with a VENT?! What is this? SOLVED

I have a M1917-style (for lack of wanting to call it an M1917) helmet with an odd feature I have never seen before. The helmet is unfinished steel, the top has been dented in and has an exceptionally large hole. The oddity is what seems to be a vent on the side of the dome with a black Bakelite fixture in place. What is this?! I have never seen this on an M1917/Mk I style helmet before. It has a heat number of ZH42.

M1917-style with a VENT?! What is this?M1917-style with a VENT?! What is this?M1917-style with a VENT?! What is this?M1917-style with a VENT?! What is this?M1917-style with a VENT?! What is this?M1917-style with a VENT?! What is this?
    Last edited by Museologist44; 01-18-2020 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Question answered

MAP
    ?

Looks like someone tries to make a lamp out if it.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP,

That never occurred to me! That would explain the larger hole at the top for attaching to a lamp base as a shade. However, it still doesn't explain the hole on the side. Or am I missing something?

MAP
    ?

It was a guess and I could be totally wrong

I don't think it is a shade I think it is a base. With maybe something else on top of the helmet leading up to the lamp itself. The hole on the side could be for a plug or a on off switch. They also snipped off the chinstrap bales.

Just a guess...

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I also was thinking it would be more of a base, but then I found this pick:
    Could it be where the switch/valve was like in this pic?

I think you may be right about it being used as a base. The need to put a shaft on top of it would explain the dent. It is almost perfectly level across the edges of the dent. That and the Bakelite fixture placed in the side hole looks almost identical to wiring fixtures on 1920-1930s electrical equipment.

M1917-style with a VENT?! What is this?M1917-style with a VENT?! What is this?

I think I will consider the mystery solved! I appreciate the input y'all! Too bad the lamp isn't still intact. It would have been neat to see what it looked like.

MAP
    ?

Yes. That was my thought on the Bakelite as well

If it was me, and the hole was for a cord, I would have out it lower in the helmet....but that's just me LoL

I think you have a new project to complete LoL

MAP
    ?

Quote by OsiusGaming View Post
    I also was thinking it would be more of a base, but then I found this pick:
    Could it be where the switch/valve was like in this pic?
    Hmmmm. Very possible. I like that lamp. That she'll would get red hot with an incandescent bulb

LOL I think I will pass it on for someone else! My electrical skills are "shockingly" inadequate for such a project!

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast