Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

M33 Helmet- Possibly Spanish Used?

Article about: Let me first start off by saying that I have been wanting an M33 helmet for quite some time now. I wanted one that was mostly of wartime variation and wasn't expensive. So when I saw this on

Default M33 Helmet- Possibly Spanish Used?

Let me first start off by saying that I have been wanting an M33 helmet for quite some time now. I wanted one that was mostly of wartime variation and wasn't expensive. So when I saw this one, I knew I had to snag it. I have done a considerable amount of research into the M33 over the last couple of weeks to make sure I knew what to look out for. But I still have some questions.

Underneath the brownish crackling paint, you can see what seems to be the original green color of the helmet.

On the inside, the helmet bares a size 56 Liner with the Fratelli Fiorio di Torino maker seal. The liner is of wartime variation without the metal rings around the liner holes. The liner may have parallel stitching in the back, but I can't really tell as it is covered with dirt. What is certain is that it does not have the "Z" stitching. The liner also has the orange felt pads beneath.

The chinstrap is connected with the rectangle rings. As far as I can tell, there does not seem to be any markings on the chinstrap or its assembly.

The helmet itself is stamped "S 93".

The Air vents are also of the first type with 2 tabs. They are very rusty and kind of hard to see.

So if I am not mistaken, all of these factors point towards it being one of the earlier models, right? The only thing I am not too sure on is the exterior chipping paint. It instantly reminded me of the color seen on some Spanish helmets, but I have not been able to find an exact match because of the massive variety of colors they used. However, I do have a Spanish M30 on hand and took a paint comparison photo of the two helmets.
    The color of the M33 has a definite browner tone than the M30, but not the same kind of reddish brown I have seen on postwar M33's.

With this in mind, I am kind of leaning towards the possibility that this may be one of the M33's used during the Spanish Civil War based on its early features and the out repaint, but I would like the input you guys have as well. Anything is appreciated and thanks for reading!

Also, please excuse the liner size and batch code pictures being upside down. I flipped them right side up in my files folder but apparently the edit does not transfer to uploading the files.

Seems plausible to me. There were tens of thousands of Italian 'volunteers' in the Corpo Truppe Volontarie ground forces and from photos they wear a mixture oif M33 and Adrian (probably M16) helmets. Much kit will have been left behind/lost/abandoned etc and reused by impoverished Spain. I am no expert on Spanish helmets of this period but the colour does look right.

Typical SCW used M33.