Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Model 8 Experimental Helmet

Article about: Greetings all, I come today seeking some assistance on an experimental WWI helmet: The Model 8. From my research, I can gather that around 1,300 of these were produced by the Ford Motoring C

How about this camo Model 8?! What?! If this is original camo paint, from WWI, yowza! Now that would be cool. These two Model 8 examples can be found in a little military museum (The Battlefield Military Museum) in Gettysburg, PA.

Default Model 8 Photos

Here are the Model 8 photos as promised. I received it today! Now that I have the helmet in hand I can say with confidence that it's 100% legit. It does seem that the paint has been altered. Unless of course, this example was one of the very first made by the Ford Motoring Company, and they were tinkering with it?! Wishful thinking. Other than the paint alteration though this example is in really nice shape. The visor raises up and down with ease, able to lock in both of the open positions. Also, the interior of the helmet is in good condition. The leather has naturally worn, but is still actually there, which many examples simply don't have (or, if there, has badly deteriorated). I couldn't resist trying it on (oh so carefully). I welcome your comments. Thanks so much!

Default Ancient Ironman

This helmet had to be the inspiration for Ironman... right?! I mean, come on!!

What do you all think of the lid?!

?

I confess to being more than a bit jealous. This model highlights the confusion faced combating modern weapons of the time.

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    I confess to being more than a bit jealous. This model highlights the confusion faced combating modern weapons of the time.
    Yah, when I tried it on I made it a point to see just how limited the vision was... it's VERY limited. If you're looking up, down, or side to side, you're not seeing much. This would have been specifically for those gunners looking straight ahead, directly at the oncoming enemy. It was comfortable on the head though, for the one minute I had it on.

?

Excellent KD.
    Look great and have to say that the pic with it on made my day!!
    I'm a firm believer in trying things on when I get them.
    Some fit, other's not so well!!!
    Like I mentioned earlier, I just love the look of these.
    Congrats on adding that piece of US helmet history to your collecction!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Excellent KD.
    Look great and have to say that the pic with it on made my day!!
    I'm a firm believer in trying things on when I get them.
    Some fit, other's not so well!!!
    Like I mentioned earlier, I just love the look of these.
    Congrats on adding that piece of US helmet history to your collecction!!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks so much Phil. It's nice to get a response from such an avid member. I'm a newbie but have found all members here more than willing to be helpful and kind. Yah, "Mr. 8" fit quite nicely, but my "Haube" not so much. The M8 has found a nice home next to my other WWI lids. I still need my Belgian Adrian M15 (I love that lion badge). Luckily, it will come at a much lower price tag than the U.S. experimental.

Congrats! Very nice display as well! Glad you pulled the trigger, these are rarely available. You made the right decision. Jim G.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    Congrats! Very nice display as well! Glad you pulled the trigger, these are rarely available. You made the right decision. Jim G.
    Thanks for responding Jim. I appreciate your kind words. I actually sent you a PM but your box is full and not accepting new messages. I'm glad to know that you approve of the trigger pull. As you said, I can hope to "upgrade" somewhere down the line. The interior on this one is really quite nice. It's just that original textured paint exterior that is lacking. I am happy to own this one but will continue seeking an example that allows me to be fully content. It's out there... somewhere. The thrill of the hunt shall continue on!

Decided to lace up the interior felt liner pads beneath the leather (with great care and caution). Thanks again everyone for your continued thoughts and comments.

Be well,
    KD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast