Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My new dutch (KNIL) Helmet

Article about: Hello I just want to share my last find : a dutch (KNIL) helmet (Royal Dutch Indian Army), probably a Milsco made Thank you for watching. Jean Loup

?

a leather neck guard on any helmet is usually associate with fire fighting. to keep burning embers from going down your back. just about every country used this devise on helmets.

?

If it is Navy, why not for combining fire fighting and conduct of the war on board vessels?

Hello,

according to this web site (military sun helmets), "The interior shows the leather liner and the felt to help reduce the heat on the wearer’s head. How effective this was is a matter of debate.".
    It's definitely not a firefighter helmet, even if the protection might be poor.

These leather neck flaps were intended for protection from the sun and from insects and the like in the jungle environment of Java and the other islands of the Netherlands East Indies.

They were not intended for fire fighters.

Cheers,
    Emile

Really? That's interesting......when other countries used nets or flimsy lightweight cloth, Holland was giving her guys weapons-grade heavy, thick (and BLACK!) leather protection for the hottest, most humid of places....Java must have some m/f bugs! :-)

Correct. They came in black, grey and grey/green.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2