Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Oddball Czech Vz 32 Helmet with Comb. Help!

Article about: Hello all, I tried posting this in a different thread without much luck, so I figured I would try it here. I came across this helmet for sale recently and knew I had to have it. I had wanted

Default Oddball Czech Vz 32 Helmet with Comb. Help!

Hello all,

I tried posting this in a different thread without much luck, so I figured I would try it here.

I came across this helmet for sale recently and knew I had to have it. I had wanted this type of Czech helmet for some time, and the comb on top was an additional incentive. After taking a look at the helmet, here are some interesting things I've noticed:

1) The helmet is in almost unissued shape aside from the staining on the liner. Upon closer inspection it is clear this helmet was somewhat crudely repainted at some point, but the ink date and manufacturer stamps look to be correct.
    2) According to my research some of these helmets made their way in to fire and civil defense units, and those examples can have a comb. However, all of the ones I have been able to find (and it hasn't been many) were painted black. This helmet looks to have the standard mustard green paint of other Vz 32 helmets.
    3) I have only been able to find one example of the black combed versions of this helmet that have the comb attached in the same way this one is. Many I have seen were riveted to the shell. Mine and one other I have seen appear to have been spot welded.

I have mixed feeling about this one. I'm not sure if it was a civil defense/fire helmet that had a coat of standard issue paint applied, or this was the way it was manufactured originally. The seller believed it could have been some type of experimental helmet.

In any case, I'm opening up this one to the knowledgeable members of the forum for some second and third opinions. Any information would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone is able to find pictures of this helmet being worn I would be truly grateful. Thanks!

?

Let me begin by saying it's a spectacular helmet in pristine condition. I'm leaning towards your theory that it's a civil helmet that was painted at some point. In that last photo it appears there are two different paint colors particularly around the rim to the left of the date. I hope someone more knowledgeable can add something helpful here.

Regards, Al

Hi Al,

I thought it almost too good to be true when I finally got the helmet in my hands. I'll have to take a closer look at the paint and see if there might be some traces of a different color underneath. You can definitely see the brush strokes and I think the last picture might even show them. I wonder if it started out as a civil helmet but was recalled right before the war, repainted and refurbished but just never saw any use.

?

I can see both sides of the argument in this case. Even though the paint strokes are visible it almost looks like the original paint coat of the helmet. It's very neatly done and uniform in appearance except for a few small areas around the rim which could be just discoloration . It will still display nicely regardless.

?

I saw this helmet and was very tempted myself, it is certainly unusual.

One of the interesting points is the 1939 stamps this puts it post occupation if it were Czech or Slovakian, I think that makes ‘experimental’ hard to believe in that period. It doesn’t look like it has the manufacturers stamp, so likely repainted and reissued.

If you look at the World War Helmets site it shows helmets with ‘FS’ which is credited as ‘Financni Straz’ translating as Civil Defence, - something doesn’t add up because I got ‘Financial’ as the translation for ‘Financni’ – it’s a leap of faith but ‘S’ has to stand for something and ‘Straz’ translates as ‘Guard’. It would be good to see what stamps are inside the black versions you mention.

The Czech Vz20 had both with and without comb versions so it’s not inconceivable the same approach for the Vz32 was used.

My vote is civil defense, and I hope someone comes along to prove me wrong or right. A great addition to anyone’s collection.

?

I did a search in Czech and came up with these two, both factory painted khaki.

Přilba vz.32 s hřebenem khaki | Vojensky vyprodej , sběratelske předměty, Ražba identifikačnich znamek, Odznaky
    Google translation - Helmet vz.32 with khaki crest probably for military firefighters or werkschutz without warranty

Československa helma vz 32 s hřebenem ZPO | Armyzdar
    Google translation - Interesting and rare helmet used during World War II Racing fire protection. The helmet I have original green color with the outside. Among other things, these helmets were used during the Prague Uprising.

Fire seems to be the common theme, and…….here’s the photo

A few black ones came up in the search and another one on ebay today, so maybe not super rare but the condition of yours can’t be beat

?

hi original color looks like this:Oddball Czech Vz 32 Helmet with Comb. Help!Oddball Czech Vz 32 Helmet with Comb. Help!Oddball Czech Vz 32 Helmet with Comb. Help!Oddball Czech Vz 32 Helmet with Comb. Help! + one foto from "the Prague uprising"Oddball Czech Vz 32 Helmet with Comb. Help!

Wow, that is absolutely fascinating thank you so much. Seeing other examples is certainly helpful, but nothing beats pictures of these things in use. The fact that these types of helmets were used in the Prague Uprising just adds to the coolness factor and historical significance of this piece. I can only imagine with Soviet tanks rolling in your primary concern is finding a piece of metal to protect your head. Can anyone identify what type of uniform is being worn in the picture? It looks like some kind of one-piece overall to my eye, possibly lending further credence to the fire theory.

Hi,

the depicted helmet has reproduction green repaint with fake ink stamps. There are two types of combed vz.32s - 1 with riveted comb and 2nd with spot welded comb. The first one does exist with Czechoslovak army acceptance ink stamp, so it was probably used by army firemen unit. I never saw vz.32 with welded comb with army acceptance ink stamp. These are in most cases in black paint with chromed comb and leather chinstrap without chin cut - issued for civic firemen or civil defense organizations.
    I must say, that these combed vz.32s are not from early production period of vz.32 helmet model, because the first vz.32s used to have different color of liner pads and the experimental batch of vz.32s had little bit different shape and some rivets position that common vz.32s.
    If you see the pair of frontal holes on Czechoslovak helmet - this is a sign that it was used by firemen and now lacks the firemen badge.

Hi,
    the "uniform" on period photo is work overall.