Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Polish Helmets used during the Polish-Soviet War 1919-1920

Article about: Hello, I am trying to find the type of helmets the Polish Army used during the 1919-1920 conflict with the Soviets. I searched the internet and found different answers but not a definitive o

Default Polish Helmets used during the Polish-Soviet War 1919-1920

Hello,
    I am trying to find the type of helmets the Polish Army used during the 1919-1920 conflict with the Soviets.
    I searched the internet and found different answers but not a definitive one, I saw German M16, German-Austrian M17, Adrian Helmets, etc. painted in brown, dark grey, dark green etc., I am a bit lost.
    I've also found photos of M17 helmets with a big white eagle hand painted in the front.
    Can you help me find the helmets that were used? Would be great is someone could post photos as well.
    Many thanks!

You may be better off working through this section -

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/polish-militaria/

I am essentially a post-WW2 collector, so all I can say is that I believe the Poles would have used any and everything they would get their hands on in the period you are interested in. I've certainly seen photos of all the helmets you mention in Polish use both at that time and later.

This is a tranlated quote from the introduction to a booklet on the Polish wz31 helmet -

Reborn after regaining independence in 1918, the Polish Army used all available equipment, uniforms and weapons, and thus also helmets.
    German and Austrian helmets, as well as French and Russian-Finnish helmets used by the Russians remained after the armies of former partitioners. Equipped with helmets, the soldiers of the detachments created abroad also returned. Of course, the great amount of war material that came to Poland during the Polish-Bolshevik war included, of course, helmets.
    After the end of hostilities and the army's transition to peace, the issue of equipping soldiers with a Polish combat helmet, preferably of domestic production, appeared.
    Years of construction and experimental work resulted in the creation of a technologically and conceptually modern Polish helmet model 1931, which grew with the figure of a Polish soldier to the beginning of the 21st century.

Many thanks for the information and the forum link!