Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Romanian Ssh40

Article about: Looks just like Russian except for the color/texture of the liner pads and the ink markings on the shell and liner pad. Kevin

Default Romanian Ssh40

Looks just like Russian except for the color/texture of the liner pads and the ink markings on the shell and liner pad.
    Kevin

Romanian Ssh40

Romanian Ssh40

Romanian Ssh40

Romanian Ssh40

Romanian Ssh40

Romanian Ssh40

Romanian Ssh40

Romanian Ssh40

Romanian Ssh40

Very interesting, definately Romanian stamps so the real thing. I have three or four of these and I once spent quite a while researching them on the web (there isn;t much and the best info is here - World War Helmets - Casque Modele 40 ). I don't remember seeing one with the black fabric pads, and to be honest I would have thought this was a standard Russian issue at first sight. Of course the shells are USSR export so on that basis *identical* to the original ssh40!

See also here - This could be a Romanian MP helmet.... - this one was my first Romanian M40, got some more from Romania soon afterwards. This is the only one of the Warsaw Pact helmets which is to all intents and purposes identical with the ssh40.

OK, this might be my imagination, and as I don't have easy access to my cvollection at the moment I cannot check the actual helmets to prove or disprove my idea. I have been looking at pictures of the Romanian M40 and I suspect there is a difference in the size of the rivet heads, the two at front and read, not necessarily the side ones. Those on the Romanian helmets seem slightly larger and more rounded than those on the Russian.

Now this could make sense as the shells were produced in the USSR and the liners and strap in Romania, and we can reasonably assume the final assembly was done in Romania using their own pins.

This might be a comple illlusion easily disproved by looking at several actual examples of ssh40 and M40, which unfortunately I cannot do at the moment. Anyone out there better organised? And with better eyesight?

I'm fearing that rocking on the dining room table is the next step (if you know, you know)...sorry ol' boy, 'couldn't resist a stroll down Memory Lane!

Hey Greg, interesting observation and from what I see you are correct. Difficult to document here but I did my best. In order of these pictures, the Romanian rivet is on the right, then top, then bottom.

Romanian Ssh40
    Romanian Ssh40
    Romanian Ssh40

Also, here is a picture showing the difference between two brown liners I have, may or may not be typical. The 1949 Soviet is smooth, lighter colored, and the Romanian is pebbly and darker.

Romanian Ssh40

I remember you from the old helmet collecting group on Yahoo so many years ago, good to reconnect.
    Kevin

Hi Kevin, yes, lots of us from Yahoo days still alive, amazing really. Anyway, very pleased to see that you may well have some evidence of what I suspect. I haven't been able to do much compare&contrast here yet - I have got all my Romanian M40 together, five of them, all definately Romanian although not all have the full cemplement of inkstamps. All also have the same rivet heads, which seem to me larger and more rounded than the USSR original. I have only two ssh40 and ridiculous as it sounds I can't actually find them, so no in-hand comparison here, all done from photos.

I think there's a point to be proved - or disproved, all knowledge is good! - here, so we'll persevere.

?

Hello, this helmet is full of mysreries. Some of the cradles could be Russians as well. According to World War Helmets, on the Romanian cradle where the tip is folded to receive the drawstring the stitching is similar to a "Z". On the Russian cradle it is straight.

Your helmet:
    Romanian Ssh40

Russian stitching:
    Romanian Ssh40

Sketch of Romanian stitching:
    Romanian Ssh40

Actual photographs from World War helmets:
    World War Helmets - Casque Modele 40

That is interesting, however I’m 100% sure that the liner was manufactured in Romania due to the “SCT” stamp on the back of them. There is no “S” in the Russian alphabet. Kevin

?

That is interesting, however I’m 100% sure that the liner was manufactured in Romania due to the “SCT” stamp on the back of them. There is no “S” in the Russian alphabet. Kevin
    Yes, that possibility crossed my mind, but if they were bought directly from the Russian manufacturer & imported, then the Romanian Military quality control would have stamped the good ones. Talking about that, perhaps the style of Romanian tip of cradle stitching could also have been strait for a period of time? Many ossibilities here... Giving us the chance to exchange about this discreet Romanian helmet.