Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Russian M60 helmet

Article about: Hey Guys - I'm thinking about getting my very first Russian helmet for my cold war collection - looks like an M60 type, with some-kind-of camo (?) paint - could this be 1980s Afghanistan war

?

Thanks James, yeah I like this one as well, especially as my first Russian helmet - 1990 date is ok as well - one year before the collapse of the CCCP - still "cold war history".

Well, I like the look of it.

For what it is worth the last pic in post 15 showing the helmet in what might be called an alleway seems to me to show on the right a barrier made of "Hesco" bastions which are wire cages lined with hessian or polyolyfin cloth (modern replacement for hessian in military use) and filled with earth/gravel/rubble to provide a balistic protective screen. On the left can be seen (note the colour) the metal external wall of airconditioned prefabricated buildings used for office and living accommodation in Camp "Bastion" Afghanistan. The helmet is stood on top of a fairly typical military "special to contents" container although I can't be sure what it contains it likely would be "base" type equipment of a technically delicate nature rather than frontline weaponry etc which would be in different types of usually green cases.

I just thought this might be an interesting observation in the context of discussing the provenance of this helmet. It should also be noted that this type of helmet along with a real hotch potch of others is still in use by the Afghan National Army (ANA).

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Well spotted Mark and appreciate your comments this certainly backs up the idea of an Afghan war bringback
    Thank you ,James

?

Thank you Mark for the info.

I'll be a bit OFF-topic, but I don't want create a new thread for this - until I receive it. Last night I was looking through VATERA (sort of like the Hungarian e-bay, but usually lot cheaper!) - and I saw this for a very low price (even in Hungarian living standards) - converting from Hungarian money - for 10 EU, including the helmet cover.

Anyway, another helmet I didn't have in my collection, a Yugoslavian M59/85 Helmet (the liner is 1985 for sure), with I belive an M89 helmet cover.
    I still need to get an M59 helmet with early liner system. I know there are probably a lot of these out there, but I just read it in another thread here, that in 2010, all back-stock of these helmets were sold off to various world armies, so maybe soon, these will get more rare in time.

Sellers pics:
    Russian M60 helmetRussian M60 helmetRussian M60 helmetRussian M60 helmetRussian M60 helmet

and a 1991 photo from the Yugoslavian civil war:
    Russian M60 helmet

Cheers,
    Fabe

Helmet of soviet border guards.

Russian M60 helmet Russian M60 helmet Russian M60 helmet Russian M60 helmet

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3