Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Swedish M37/65 or Finnish M62 ?

Article about: I have a Swedish M37/65 that is flat grey and has the double 3 crown decals. I also have what I was told was a Finnish M62, which is identical except it is painted a slightly semi gloss fore

?

Default Swedish M37/65 or Finnish M62 ?

I have a Swedish M37/65 that is flat grey and has the double 3 crown decals. I also have what I was told was a Finnish M62, which is identical except it is painted a slightly semi gloss forest green color. The color looks Finnish from the pictures I've seen. The paint is somewhat thick and has several chips in it and is flat grey under the green. If it was a repaint/reissue the liner was put in after it was painted. Were all the Finnish helmets made in Sweden ? Is there a way to tell if it was a Swedish issue helmet or a Finnish issue helmet ? I can load some pics tomorrow if that helps. -Thanks

Hello, I may have an answer for you but please listen to what others say as they are most likely more knowledgeable.

As far as I can remember, any of these types of helmets that were made in Finland should have a small W stamped around the brim's underside. I gathered this knowledge from this thread: Swedish M37 helmets

Also, make sure there are no crowns stamped into the underside of the helmet. This would be an identifying factor for a helmet made in Sweden. Other countries that used these helmets include Latvia, Lithuania, and I believe Estonia (Estonia also had their own mysterious model called the m40 which was an experimental helmet from Poland, I believe). Check them out to see if that's what you may have.

In the end though, pictures would be the best way for us to tell!

OsiusGaming is quite right. Finnish made helmets will have a very small 'W', that is for Wartsila, the manufacturer. But apart from that, and the hint about anything with a stamped crown (usually a crown over a number, the size in cm) being definately Swedish it is very hard to tell the two apart. I am in a similar situation to Kyron4, in that I have two helmets I believe are Finnish but because of overpainting it is hard to be certain.

See also

Finnish model 40

It always seems very difficult to detect a Finnish M62. They are almost identical to the Swedish M37/65.

They both have the Schuberth liner with similar fittings. Of course if you can find the stamp - on the shell - it is easy, but sometimes there is no stamp or it is painted over.

What I see is that all the Swedish helmets - and I have looked at many photographs, and my own collection - have the interior rivet shown in the first picture. It is much harder to find pictures of the Wartsila M62, but the pictures I have seen, and my own three examples, all have flat interior rivets as shown in the second picture.

In my investigation so far this is consistent; the same rivets also appear on the Swedish M26/65. so I am confident in saying this a Swedish pattern and is not used by the Finns.

I am interested in all comments. This is either a useful identification clue, or a complete mistake!

(I have just noticed - having been focussed on the rivets themselves - that the plastic arms of the liners are different! On the one Swedish and one Finnish I have just picked up the plastic liner arms are distincly different. I had not noticed that before, but I don;t know how consistent that is. )

I read from book that Finland ordered 20.000 m62 helmet shells from Sweden 1962.
    First 3 years Finns didn't have liners for these helmets, because complicated foreing purchase reasons.

1965 Finns tried to copy german developed liner and ordered 70.000 liners made in Finland. Stucturally these weren's strong as german equivalent, plastic parts were weak in cold.
    No more were ordered.

The liner for these helmets were bought separately from Germany 1971 (100.000 pieces) as apology for stealing patent. And assembeld in Finland.

German liner patent ended 1977 and Finns copied it's manufacturing methods immediately.
    1978 Wärtsilä Oy could only now produce complete helmets for the army on it's own.
    ---
    I Guess Swedes sold some helmets from their warehouses if it had swedish decal. Swedish helmets had green paint finish, so Finns must have repainted them.

A Wartsila-made M62. This is a new-build example, not a refurbished M40. Almost identical to the Swedish M37/65, except for the rivets and liner arms described in previous postings. Many people can see a difference in the contour of the edgo, also, but I really can;t, so far. There's also a detail involving how the liner band is constructed, but I am not sure yet how consistent it is - anyway it is invisible unless looked for.

The '72' adjacent to the 'W' stamp is not the date, it is the size. (NB the M62 I have seen have these stamps on the inside rear, but not placed consistently - and definately not on the rim as with the M40.)

Swedish M37/65 or Finnish M62 ? Swedish M37/65 or Finnish M62 ?

Swedish M37/65 or Finnish M62 ? Swedish M37/65 or Finnish M62 ?

My new Finnish M62.

Swedish M37/65 or Finnish M62 ? Swedish M37/65 or Finnish M62 ? Swedish M37/65 or Finnish M62 ?

?

Basic simple helmet, I like it.
    Finns peacekeepers, Cyprus 1965.
    Last edited by Jack59; 08-12-2023 at 10:54 PM.