Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Swiss M18/40,46 dc

Article about: Hi all Here's my newest haul a pair of Swiss M18/40,46 dc first up......the M18/40 is a fire service example marked F and painted smooth black with a badge riveted to the front..(region coat

Dunno but I did do size comparison on mine and they where all the same.

Quote by battle gear View Post
    did they make the SWISS M18 in one shell size with different size padding? or did they make a small , medium , large?
    There were two shell sizes for the M18 series, nominally A and B, and you may sometimes see that marked in the shell (as a stencilled letter). The size difference is only really apparent with the two side by side. The A size (smaller of the two) is by far more common. NB - so far as my knowledge goes - which is mostly what I have read, boss - the lighter-weight 46-DC is a single size.

The M48-62 series are a single size shell with varying interior fittings. The earliest - the conversions from UK surplus shells - include some large shells which are distinctly LARGE!
    Last edited by Greg Pickersgill; 09-08-2021 at 04:32 PM.

the large shell size must be rare , Ive never seen any that were noticeably larger in the M18 / M40 - 62 shells , that I got to pick through.

Quote by battle gear View Post
    the large shell size must be rare , Ive never seen any that were noticeably larger in the M18 / M40 - 62 shells , that I got to pick through.
    Not necessarily 'rare', but rather uncommon. Someone somewhere might know the ratio of A (small) to B (large) but I don't. Remember, its not obvious that one is bigger than the other unless you compare them with an eye towards that. I have maybe 20 M18 series and only two are B size - and not marked as such either, so we can't rely on markings for confirmation.

The Swiss-made M48/62 shell is really pretty big without the various liner sizes - though there again the majority I have (and I have a slightly embarrassing number) have the liners for smaller headsizes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4